New To The Hobby! Tips Please! - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
New To The Hobby! Tips Please!

Hi guys, I'm new to the hobby so any tips or suggestions are greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance! So let me put out a brief info about my set up.

I have a 10 gallon rectangular tank that has been running for about 6 weeks now. I have a few fish in it that have been doing very well. On the other hand, my plants aren't that fortunate. I picked up a top fin 10 gallon starter kit from petsmart. I basically only have the tank left since I upgraded the heater, filter and I just ordered new lighting and a glass hood. I'm aware that the lights that come with the kit are complete garbage and that's why I ordered the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 20", as I've heard incredible things about it.

I have a few plants in there that aren't doing very well so I could REALLY use some help. I'm using play sand as my substrate, which I rinsed 20 thousand times. As of today I have the following plants:
1 Banana Plant
1 Anubis Plant
1 Wysteria
2 bunches of Java Moss (tied to driftwood)
1 Java Fern and a baby one too
1 Amazon Sword
1 Moss Ball

A picture of my tank is attached for reference. I could really use some help! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium .jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	354457  

MikeAcc21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
greaser84's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 1,425
Do you have the planted plus yet? Or are you waiting for it to arrive? Couple things since its a new tank and new plants it will take sometime for the plants to get adjusted and rooted in their new home, patience is key. Are you using any ferts? Pull the anubias up a little bit and expose the rhizome, the rhizome should never be buried in the substrate. Also amazon swords are heavy root feeder's, root tabs will help it grow, especially with sand since its inert. Most people will tell you the sword and banana plant will get too big for a 10 gallon, but I'll tell you a little secret I have both of those in a 10 gallon!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
greaser84 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Do you have the planted plus yet? Or are you waiting for it to arrive? Couple things since its a new tank and new plants it will take sometime for the plants to get adjusted and rooted in their new home, patience is key. Are you using any ferts? Pull the anubias up a little bit and expose the rhizome, the rhizome should never be buried in the substrate. Also amazon swords are heavy root feeder's, root tabs will help it grow, especially with sand since its inert. Most people will tell you the sword and banana plant will get too big for a 10 gallon, but I'll tell you a little secret I have both of those in a 10 gallon!
I don't have the planted plus yet, but it will be here tomorrow and I'm really excited. I am not using an ferts since I really don't know what to get nor do I know if they really need it. As for the anubias, I did what you told me to do. What root tabs would be good to get? And are they really needed? I figured the sword would getting really big, but I didn't know the banana plant would too. And that's awesome that you have both of those in your 10 gallon as well! How are they doing?
MikeAcc21 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
What's a good fertilizer I can use?
MikeAcc21 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
You can start with the Seachem product line, available in small bottles, and each bottle has a different fertilizer so you can customize the blend. It sounds like a lot, but just buy it once, while you are figuring out your tank. I think they call all their fertilizers Flourish.
Flourish Nitrogen
Flourish Phosphorus
Flourish Potassium
Flourish Excel (a source of carbon)
Flourish Comprehensive (trace minerals)
optional:
Flourish Iron (Comprehensive has iron, but some people think it is not enough)

Start with the lowest dose on the labels.
N, P, K and Excel on one day (like M-W-Fr)
Comprehensive, Iron and Excel the other day. (Tu-Th-Sat)
Water change on Sun. Dose GH booster (Seachem Equilibrium) only if needed.

If you find the plants seem to need something different alter ONE material at a time. Then monitor conditions for a week or two and see if that fixes it.

Once you get the right light, fertilizer and carbon squared away there are cheaper ways to buy the fertilizer, though it takes a bit of mixing. You can buy the dry forms of the active ingredients.
Diana is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You can start with the Seachem product line, available in small bottles, and each bottle has a different fertilizer so you can customize the blend. It sounds like a lot, but just buy it once, while you are figuring out your tank. I think they call all their fertilizers Flourish.
Flourish Nitrogen
Flourish Phosphorus
Flourish Potassium
Flourish Excel (a source of carbon)
Flourish Comprehensive (trace minerals)
optional:
Flourish Iron (Comprehensive has iron, but some people think it is not enough)

Start with the lowest dose on the labels.
N, P, K and Excel on one day (like M-W-Fr)
Comprehensive, Iron and Excel the other day. (Tu-Th-Sat)
Water change on Sun. Dose GH booster (Seachem Equilibrium) only if needed.

If you find the plants seem to need something different alter ONE material at a time. Then monitor conditions for a week or two and see if that fixes it.

Once you get the right light, fertilizer and carbon squared away there are cheaper ways to buy the fertilizer, though it takes a bit of mixing. You can buy the dry forms of the active ingredients.
Awesome. Thanks so much! I just have one more question that might sound silly, but will they need all this for the entire time? Will it be less frequent once they start growing healthy again?
MikeAcc21 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aquadawg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAcc21 View Post
will they need all this for the entire time? Will it be less frequent once they start growing healthy again?
Yes. It would be like you eating healthy and working out and then just stopping. You'd do okay for a little while...

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
FatherLandDescendant's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In the hills of Eastern Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You can start with the Seachem product line, available in small bottles, and each bottle has a different fertilizer so you can customize the blend. It sounds like a lot, but just buy it once, while you are figuring out your tank. I think they call all their fertilizers Flourish.
Flourish Nitrogen
Flourish Phosphorus
Flourish Potassium
Flourish Excel (a source of carbon)
Flourish Comprehensive (trace minerals)
optional:
Flourish Iron (Comprehensive has iron, but some people think it is not enough)

Start with the lowest dose on the labels.
N, P, K and Excel on one day (like M-W-Fr)
Comprehensive, Iron and Excel the other day. (Tu-Th-Sat)
Water change on Sun. Dose GH booster (Seachem Equilibrium) only if needed.

If you find the plants seem to need something different alter ONE material at a time. Then monitor conditions for a week or two and see if that fixes it.

Once you get the right light, fertilizer and carbon squared away there are cheaper ways to buy the fertilizer, though it takes a bit of mixing. You can buy the dry forms of the active ingredients.
When would the Flourish trace be used? This is how I;m using this product line right no (except the Equilibrium) but can't figure out where the Trace falls into the mix.
FatherLandDescendant is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
I know this was answered in a earlier post, I just feel like it's a lot of stuff for a 10 gallon with low light plants. I have a 10 gallon tank with all low light plants and a Finnex Planted+ 20 inch light and I'm not looking to do anything crazy. Would the Flourish Comprehensive be enough?

Last edited by MikeAcc21; 08-10-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Add
MikeAcc21 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Suriname
Posts: 492
Hi Mike
A couple of other suggestions;
Hard to tell what depth your substrate is but you should have about 2" to 3" minimum.
If that is a lead weight around your one plant I see, remove it.
The Anubis can be tied to the wood or a rock. Mine is tied to wood a 3" to 4" off the substrate and what it then does is start growing a curtain of roots down to the substrate while at the same time growing new leaves from the rhizome (they are my favorite plant).
As to how much and how often you need to add fertilizers to your tank will depend on how much light you put your plants under. Too much light then you'll have to feed your plants including CO2 or your going to be growing a lot of algae. Too little light and your plants will wither over time. You can adjust your light levels and duration times fairly easily. Lifting the light off the tank will lower the light level as will lower wattage tubes or placing something to diffuse the light between it and your tank. People running low maintenance tanks often add only the micro ferts (sometimes just root tabs), counting on the fish & food waste plus water changes to do the rest. Some of this will also depend on which plants you want to grow as some do better with lower light levels than others. Your current plant selection should get on OK with lower light levels. I think Diana has suggested too aggressive a fertilization plan as it is close to what I do with a high tech tank, plus pressurized CO2, and fairly high light levels. I stand to be corrected though since I don't profess to have much low tech experience.
There is a Low Tech Forum that you may want to visit as the answers you get may be more suited to what your looking to have in the way of a tank setup. Click on the "Planted Tank" logo then click on the Forum button and look for the Low Tech Forum.
Good luck with the tank.
Steve002 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Suriname
Posts: 492
Also be aware that Excel is more than just a source of carbon. I've read other people's posts saying that the carbon it provides is very limited and effective for only a short time. A lot of us use it as an algicide which it does well when overdosed but it is both hard on plants and fish, they both need to become acclimatized to it to be able to survive elevated levels. It also contains some very nasty chemicals so be careful not to come into contact with it yourself.
Generally speaking I don't think you should have to add Excel on a regular basis for carbon but do seek guidance on this from the low tech folks.
Steve002 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Also be aware that Excel is more than just a source of carbon. I've read other people's posts saying that the carbon it provides is very limited and effective for only a short time. A lot of us use it as an algicide which it does well when overdosed but it is both hard on plants and fish, they both need to become acclimatized to it to be able to survive elevated levels. It also contains some very nasty chemicals so be careful not to come into contact with it yourself.
Generally speaking I don't think you should have to add Excel on a regular basis for carbon but do seek guidance on this from the low tech folks.
Thanks you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to write this. I will follow your suggestions!
MikeAcc21 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Where the devil went down to!
Posts: 344
I ran a standard 55g t8 hood light over a 10g planted tank for a year. with no ill affects on the plants. i had swords, crypts, vals, and others i can't think of off top of my head. 10g tanks don't need much light due to the small size low height, infact my 20 gallon tall is being temporarily used while i work on my 40 and my 55g and i am using my old 55g standard t8 light over it, and the plants are doing fine. and even have new growth. i do have other lights i could use if they start to die but for 2 months they been in tank with no ill affects. but i think for your situation i think it is just the plants trying to establish themselves. but I will say that just because i am running poor lighting on my small tank in no way should that be a norm. once you get your new lights then you will notice a lot better growth and the tank will start to come a live. and the plants will thrive.
FuelingFire is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pasadena, california
Posts: 627
My suggestion is to turn back now while there is still hope for you!

It is only a matter of time before you are surrounded by fish tanks, asking questions that seem totally legitimate on how you can run co2 through a manifold to feed all of your tanks "cause it's easier that way"...among all the other things to noodle about (read obsess over).

Seriously though, welcome to one of the best hobbies for the modern (wo)man. You now have the opportunity to be technical, intuitive, and artistic as you become 1 part engineer, 1 part ameateur plumber, 1 part chemist, and 1 part compositional artist with a dash of electrician and woodworker thrown in for good measure.
pandacory is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome