Ice cubes in your tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ice cubes in your tank?

To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about this topic, but I thought it would be a great discussion. Have you ever used ice in your tank? Would you consider it? Would you feel safer putting it in a sump? How would you measure it? I would love to hear what you think.
:c ool::coo l:

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not to sound dumb but why does one but ice in a tank?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenoob View Post
Not to sound dumb but why does one but ice in a tank?
To lower the temperature noob

Best,

Joe

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
if your worried that the ice cube will alter the water chemistry you can always put the water in a bottle, freeze the bottle and then put it in the tank. this way after it melts you can also just refreeze it. cheap easy way to cool tanks down during the summer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
if your worried that the ice cube will alter the water chemistry you can always put the water in a bottle, freeze the bottle and then put it in the tank. this way after it melts you can also just refreeze it. cheap easy way to cool tanks down during the summer
Have you ever used this method lamiskool and how many ounces would you add per ten gallons?

Best,

Joe
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh here in MN i've never had trouble with tanks overheating.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Send us some cool weather noob

Best,

Joe
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Strangely, it doesn't seem to be a problem in Florida grow-out ponds. In the summer. In Florida.

Look, if your house is hot enough to bring your aquarium's temp up to dangerous levels, you need to leave your home and seek shelter in a cooler place.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
Strangely, it doesn't seem to be a problem in Florida grow-out ponds. In the summer. In Florida.
I would think Florida would be the last place you'd have a problem. Even in the summer. Nature takes care of all that. This thread is more about alternative measures to cool a tank down. Many aquariums can be seven to ten degrees hotter than your house because of canopies,lighting,etc. It has nothing to do with the house.

Best,

Joe
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Have an open top tank, ventilate with small fans for a low cost solution. Here in the tropics tanks with heavy lighting can easily be at daily highs of 86f year round. With a fan you could drop the temperature a few degrees. Even at 84f most species do okay. Some people here use chillers for mosses and the like.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Have an open top tank, ventilate with small fans for a low cost solution. Here in the tropics tanks with heavy lighting can easily be at daily highs of 86f year round. With a fan you could drop the temperature a few degrees. Even at 84f most species do okay. Some people here use chillers for mosses and the like.
I agree. I just thought it would be interesting to see if we could figure out a method of cooling tanks using only ice. ex. 16oz ice bottle in sump of 90 gal, or three cubes in 10 gallon per day etc.

Best,

Joe
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't know if there is a formula, but I use two little 12 ounce Gatorade bottles in my 40b reef. I just freeze them with salt water (lower freezing point, I think) and drop them in the tank on really hot days. It'll drop the tank about two degrees which is enough. Then I just refreeze the bottles. I use the little ones simply because they are smaller and don't smash things around in the current.

I've also heard of people making cubes out of ro water and just dumping them into reef tanks. Using too much air flow over tanks causes excess evap which means more top off, so I prefer the frozen water method. Hope this helps.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
I don't know if there is a formula, but I use two little 12 ounce Gatorade bottles in my 40b reef. I just freeze them with salt water (lower freezing point, I think) and drop them in the tank on really hot days. It'll drop the tank about two degrees which is enough. Then I just refreeze the bottles. I use the little ones simply because they are smaller and don't smash things around in the current.

I've also heard of people making cubes out of ro water and just dumping them into reef tanks. Using too much air flow over tanks causes excess evap which means more top off, so I prefer the frozen water method. Hope this helps.
Good to see you on here Higher Thinking There would be a lot of variables to take into consideration in making a formula, but it might be helpful and cost saving to a lot of folks. Do you add your ice directly into your tank or in a sump if you use one?

Best,

Joe
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I used to use (3) regular sized (?) water bottles over my 55 gallon to help cool it down, only bad thing is it melts fairly quickly and say if im at work for 8 hours no one is there to put more in.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[QUOTE=lamiskool;6475041]I used to use (3) regular sized (?) water bottles over my 55 gallon to help cool it down, only bad thing is it melts fairly quickly and say if im at work for 8 hours no one is there to put more in.[/QUOTE

Ok...On the days that you were home, how much did it lower the temp and how long before it melted.

Best,

Joe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode