Tall tank opinions - too much trouble? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tall tank opinions - too much trouble?

Had fun doing a 45G tank in my office, low tech with fish. Looks good, everyone happy. Wife got a bit engaged in it now (loves to watch the feeding frenzy), and we have been talking about a larger tank in the great (living) room.

It would be in the center, with a sofa on one side, and thinking 6-8' long. This means it would be viewed from both sides.

I am not a fan of big canopies above tanks. With thin LED's which are flat, my thought was no top, and put the top just above common eye level, say about 70" or so.

To be even reasonable proportions then the tank ends up being about 30" high, better still 36" or so.

For those who have done tall planted tanks -- how much trouble am I creating?

On a somewhat related note, if I do a long tank like this -- am I better off doing two tanks, butted against each other? This let's them be independent so water changes are not quite so much water each time, and localizes disease (etc). One downside is I need twice the plumbing risers then (though I might build a divider in the middle and run it up there, leaving the ends free, which might be visually nicer). I.e. two 90 gal vs one 180 (+/-, haven't done the math). Another downside is it reduces the size of the fish I can have (not sure that's a bad thing, 90 +/- gal is still pretty big).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a tall tank looked nice but 2 issues water flow was hard to regulate in a planted tank and its hard to work in .
For you @30 plus high your work would be done on a ladder and viewable from both sides very cool looking but most likely would need to drill the tank for bulkheads on both sides to achieve flow.
My longest tank is 60 inches and I wish it was bigger.

Good luck its a fun and can be expensive hobby to set up , but provides hours of enjoyment , just take your time to plan thinks out properly

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
If you get into aquascaping and planting the bottom it gets old really fast with a tall tank. The human arm is only so long and even with the use of extension tools it's really not fun.

What I always recommend is do a setup with lowlight plants like java fern, moss, african fern, etc. These can be attached to driftwood and then positioned the way you want them in the tank. When you need to trim you can remove them.

Personally I don't like the side by side tank. Would look alot better and more natural with one bigger setup.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Why do you need to go tall? Might be a lot better off going with a standard 125G or something along those lines... Even my 75G is a PITA to work in and it's not even 2' tall.

+1 against side-by-side. I think you would regret it in the long term. UNLESS you did something awesome like freshwater planted next to saltwater reef. That is a dream of mine lol

You don't want to be this guy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Why do you need to go tall? Might be a lot better off going with a standard 125G or something along those lines... Even my 75G is a PITA to work in and it's not even 2' tall.
I'm in the thinking process, so I do not know for sure, but I have a vague dislike of the big canopies some people put over tanks. Especially for a free standing one in the middle of a room as opposed to on a wall.

So if no canopy, I need to think about what it looks like -- and it's never going to be really pretty, but I can make it awfully flat (+/- plumbing) bu using flat LED lights, like the satellite LED+ which I have now.

But... they still look ugly if you are looking down on them, so my thought was to get the top just above most people's eye line (really tall people will just see the ugly).

So if you start with the thought that the top is about 71", it leads to a need for a tall tank also, or the cabinet appears much outsized.

But thi sis just in the thinking stage now, which is why I am asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
+1 against side-by-side. I think you would regret it in the long term. UNLESS you did something awesome like freshwater planted next to saltwater reef. That is a dream of mine lol
When I started this whole process I wanted salt water. They more I've seen them in stores, seen the trouble and prices; and the more I've seen how nice and natural a planted freshwater tank looks, the less I am inclined to do salt.

But it is a thought.

So.... a rolling hydraulic tank lifter, and I do an over-under tank, both of which are shallow. Not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The problem I had with taller tank was while sitting across the room .All that caught the eyes was the underside of the light fixture and the bulbs but the fixture was/is hanging above the tank.
Perhaps with the fixture sitting directly on the tank ,the view would be less offensive.
I sorta wish I HAD a canopy but have solved the issue for now by purchasing some reflective mylar and cutting a piece the length of the fixture and riveting it to the front edge of the fixture to help hide the bulbs.
Can't lower the fixture for it is then too much light for my low tech tank.
tank is 80 gal and I'm in it up to my arm pits each weekend ,and I got long arms.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
The problem I had with taller tank was while sitting across the room .All that caught the eyes was the underside of the light fixture and the bulbs but the fixture was/is hanging above the tank.
Perhaps with the fixture sitting directly on the tank ,the view would be less offensive.
Yeah, something like that is my concern. Here are three views from the small tank I did. It's in my office where I (and most guests) would be sitting.

From below, so long as the water is above the plastic trim, the water's surface hides any direct view of the light, and it looks just s bit brighter at the surface, surprisingly not all that bright. I like it.

From far above it's not too bad either. The LED+ sits nicely flush. You get a bit of bright from the glass panel I have in front of it, but it is a pretty clean look (especially on the other side with no plumbing and glass fore and aft of the light).

But from above, there is definitely an angle where the LED's just glare out at you. You can move it around by moving the glass, and if you remove the glass it just comes off the water even more strongly. The photo doesn't really show how much brighter it is.

What I was trying to do is avoid this kind of harsh glare, while not having a canopy over the top. But maybe that's not possible.

The other problem I found -- I got a tape measure out with my wife and looked at the size, and it is longer than I thought -- the space we would ideally like to fill is 8'. It could be 7', but a 6' aquarium would be too small (length wise) in that space. Thin is good, but it needs to be pretty long.

I looked at one manufacturer for tanks and a 180 gallon at 96 x 18 x 25 may be a possibility. The 25" would be a lot easier to light, especially if I put some height in the bottom.

But it would need a top.

Certainly need to keep thinking about that. This also may make it more expensive -- I was hoping to find someone local who got disillusioned by the work and get a cheap used one, doubt I can in that size.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So any recommendations where to start looking for 7-8' long tanks, reliable on-line places. In the meantime will start looking at craigslist, but any other recommendations?

I'm thinking of building my own stand (though linking it less if I'm doing a canopy also). But I don't want to build my own tank -- I think I could, but from reading it would not save money, and the risk seems high of catastrophic failure building a first tank that big. The risk for building the stand is it won't be pretty; I can build strong and flat with wood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode