Hard vs Soft Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hard vs Soft Water

I was just curious to find out if planted tanks do better with hard or soft water. I use a reverse osmosis de-ionizing water filtration system that brings all the water down to 0 ppm total dissolved solids before it ever goes into my tank. That being said, it removes all buffer from the water and leaves only pure water with a baseline pH of 7.0. Does it just depend on plants that I have to determine the ideal hardness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think you will find that plants do need some of the minerals removed and you may need to add some back. For my use, I find I can find plenty of plants to grow in hard alkaline water. In St. Clair, I would expect your water to be quite a bit like what I had in the West edge of St. Louis. I'm not a big fan of RO as it seems to be one extra layer or work and I fully admit that is something I try to avoid in my hobbies! When you remove the buffering, you may find the PH difficult to hold steady.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by studda View Post
I was just curious to find out if planted tanks do better with hard or soft water. I use a reverse osmosis de-ionizing water filtration system that brings all the water down to 0 ppm total dissolved solids before it ever goes into my tank. That being said, it removes all buffer from the water and leaves only pure water with a baseline pH of 7.0. Does it just depend on plants that I have to determine the ideal hardness?
"Does it just depend on plants that I have to determine the ideal hardness?"

Generally: No. However, there are plants that much prefer soft(er) water, so it is something to keep in mind when trying to grow various species. Simply reconstitute the water to 1-3 KH and 3-5 GH and you should be good to go. If you want to breed shrimp...keep the KH very low 0-3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naja002; 08-08-2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: kloijh

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode