green water and tank redo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
green water and tank redo

This is what my tank looks like 2 days after a 80% water change.
Click image for larger version

Name:	140805_0001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	353578

I know what the problem is. I've only been changing water once a week and not vacuuming much due to all the plants. I've got an excess of mulm. I got rid of the staghorn with the 1-2 punch weeks ago but it didn't help with the green water. I plan on breaking it down Thursday to paint the back and add more eco-complete (adding another inch to go from 2" to 3"). I'm wondering about the gravel. Should I take a few handfuls of gravel and just rinse lightly in fish water to preserve as much bacteria as possible and rinse the rest outside and let it dry in the sun? Rinse the filter media in fish water too. Is that going to be enough to get rid of the green water? Or should I just rinse it all and get new filter media and let the plants reseed the tank with some safe start and the bacteria from the eco-complete. I really don't want to lose my stock. 1 beta 8 neons a clown loach and an oto in a 13g. I'm getting some am-quell for emergency. Lol even with all the green water the plants are still growing like crazy just a few pin holes from getting rid of the staghorn. I separated 1 crypt and got 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

Wow isn't this similar to what I had just few days ago:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=689274

I did few big water changes (50% ), for my situation i did a black out for few days, after that I cut down on light period and ferts for now and yes I put a uv as well.. Mine is getting better now. . Yours will. . Hang in there !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hehehe, yeah I've done days worth of blackouts and I haven't used ferts or excel since I did the 1-2 punch that had to be 2 months ago. The water has been green for months. I don't have a UV but I'm pretty sure it's just too much mulm in the substrate. I tend to over feed . I'm making big changes in all 3 of my tanks and I'm setting up a new 55 over the next few months. Right now I want to get rid of this problem so I can see how some different ground covers will do in my water. I don't want to make a whole bunch of changes to the 55g. It's easier to research in the small tanks 1st. I've got glosso, dwarf baby tears, Staurogyne repens, hair grass and some bare root plants coming in Thurs from aquariumplants.com so I want the tank back up as soon as possible.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just curious has anyone used the SunSun JUP-01 9W UV Sterilizer Submersible Filter Pump? I have a HOB so if I get a UV it's going to need to be something like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode