Planted tank without fish possible?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted tank without fish possible??

Hi, was thinking about getting back into the planted tank hobby but not sure how much a commitment I want to make therefore really don't want to get fish right away. Is it even possible to do a planted tank without fish? It would be a very low tech 20gallon tank, with simple plants like anubia, java ferns, mosses ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Easier to do planted tank without fish than with.. many people here run shrimp tanks without fish also.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could probably pull it off as long as nitrates were added along with the other ferts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
The good thing about fish in an ultra low tech tank is they can provide all the nutrients plants need via the nitrogen cycle from their poop. Most high tech tanks are dosed with a fulll range of ferts so having fish or not becomes a non-issue. Like brooksie said, with no livestock you will need to add a few things manually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you use soil(dirt) and cap it with sand ,the soil can provide nutrients for some time as bacterial process breaks down organics in the soil and makes them available for plants.
Just need to go easy on the light for first few weeks.
With no fish,the ammonia released by the break down of organics does no harm to fishes and ammonia is utilized by the plants.
Too much light and for too long however, can often result in spectacular algae bloom.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Snails!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Right now my 55 dirt tank has no fish in it. Not by choice though. It's been doing fine for a few months.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
YES.
I have a 20g long riparium with underwater plants too that has been fish-less for a few months (last add-in were not quarantined first (stupid me) and brought in some unknown nasty that killed all fish). I have pond/bladder, ramshorns, and MTS in the tank but do not feed them, they have lives off of algae and fungus from newly added wood. Because I planned to add fish in again (am actually going to be adding the first batch today since they finished quarantine time) I dosed pure ammonia and added enough to be about 2ppm per a day and just kept up with weekly water changes like a normal tank (snails listed are not affected by ammonia dosing, they're indestructible water quality wise).
If I'd planned to keep it fish-less I'd just do a once a week water change (my tap has high nitrates that would feed the plants). If you don't have noticeable nitrate levels from your tap you can easily get a liquid (or possibly dry but not sure) fert for them.
I have Seachem Flourish Nitrogen for a plant only 'holding tank' (has a few snails but not much) that I don't do water changes on except once a month. Embarrassed to say the plants in the 'holding tank' are growing better in there now then they did in their previews tanks >.<

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode