Is this a wise deal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a wise deal?

Hi:

I am setting up a blackwater tank (in the process). I am doing an in wall tank where this big hole is in our fire place (weird). It would be very sturdy as it would be surrounded by cement (putting plywood on the bottom under the tank).

Anyway, I am looking for a tank (29 gallon or so). I can buy a good Aqueon new for $40.00.

The only thing is I do not really want angels (aggressive - I am making a nice community Amazon tank -- Rio Negro).

Oh on the link it was for the whole set up - tank, filter, stand, heater, light, angels - $120.00.

I only want the tank, filter, heater, and light. Sorry I did not realize I could not put Craigslist links.

Do you think that is a good deal? Is there any danger in buying tanks on Craigslist?

Thanks.

dbw

Last edited by dbw27; 08-05-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: No Craigslist links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you are not going to use the stand or fish, then I would say not. If you do get it, good luck selling just the stand or just the fish.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but I would imagine that you might run into issues with the tank getting hot if you run the fireplace in the winter. I'm not sure what type of heat transfer the fireplace would instill on the tank, though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

Thanks for responding. No I do not plan to use the stand or fish.

We do not run the fireplace in the slightest.

Thanks.

dbw

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Is this a wise deal?

If you want you can probably take the fish to a petstore near you. Usually they will take them in, but most likely will not give you anything for them.

You can try and sell them on Craigslist, I see people near me selling fish on there but not sure how well they do. But I'm sure if you just want to get rid of then and post an ad saying they are free to anyone with X size tank or bigger someone will want them. I would suggest trying to find someone with a 75 gallon to take them, with the proper care angel fish can get quite large.

Another suggestion is to contact your local aquarium club, they are usually a good source for rehoming fish.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is my tank. Not in a fp, but similar to your idea. I have been happy with it and I am sure you will with yours.Click image for larger version

Name:	p11.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	353394

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm this is true. Although my favorite lfs - well their trade in tank looks ROUGH. I would not want to put any healthy fish in there. They also have some super large angel fish in there that people did not want.

I don't know. I think I can just stick with getting a $40.00 Aqueon at Pets supplies plus, getting a filter on Craigslist (some pretty decent ones there are), a heater on amazon, and I am doing that cheap work light lighting. That is cheaper than the $120.00 and I don't have to worry about rehoming.

I have been doing my own driftwood and was shaving the bark off this morning. I just want a peaceful blackwater tank and have been researching peaceful Amazon fish. Aggressive fish stress me out which negates the reason for the tank. :-)

Thanks everyone!

dbw
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think it was a good call not to take on fish you didn't want. That's sure to be a whole other area of stress.

I would love to hear what kind of fish you decide to get. I'm moving from a CA cichlid tank to a peaceful Amazonian theme. Now that the cichlids are gone, I'm enjoying watching the goofball antics of my corydoras all over the tank, so I'm convinced I made the right decision. I'm still trying to decide on the water column fish. I have some juvenile red eye tetra (3) and some just barely out of fryhood swordtails (6). I haven't decided if I will add one group or both or something else, but I sure do love the corys and the two baby BNs my friend gave me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

Yes, I love cories! They are my favorite fish. So they would be my bottom fish. Then I hope to get marbled hatchetfish which flit along the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fDB7h4k9Pc

Then for the middle water column, I want a big school of something - tetras or the like. I also want a couple of pencil fish. Perhaps licorice gourami.

:-)

Aquadawg, your tank is fabs. How big is it?

dbw

Last edited by dbw27; 08-05-2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: mis type
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw27 View Post

Aquadawg, your tank is fabs. How big is it?

dbw
Its a 90g with a 25g sump. Here is the thread on it with the build and some close- ups

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...034&highlight=

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ooh, I like those hatchetfish. I may take a look at those myself.

Cories really are the best though. I may still get more.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aquadawg: That is very nice. Great set up! Now I feel lazy because I have a built in "hole." I should take a picture.

dbw

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode