3.5 -4 inch discus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3.5 -4 inch discus

Would a 3.5 to 4 inch discus b big enough for a planted tank

I had been growing a few discus out for my planted tank but the biggest has become overly aggressive and I want to know if 3.5 to 4 inches would b grown enough for a planted tank with 50% waterchanges every other day without a significant disadvantage to the fish?

Using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

this is the tank she will b put into
and this is the bully I want to move

Using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like a good-sized tank, cody - gallonage ?
That single discus shouldn't be disadvantaged at all in that tank with the wcs you're planning on. Though he may turn out to be a 'lonely camper', given that discus are social fish which do well in largish groups.

However, I may be wrong but it doesn't look to be 3.5" to 4" to me - more like 3" body size given the apparent size & markings. Please take no offense at my being candid, but it looks to be already stunting, so may not grow much larger than it is now, even with good care & large frequent wcs.
Still a nice-looking fish though, so enjoy it, even if it's a bit of a 'bully'.

BTW, how many discus do you have ?
As you likely know, discus being cichlids, are constantly establishing & maintaining a pecking order, so some aggression is quite normal throughout their lifetime. If you have less than 5 or 6 discus, that aggression may be a bit more serious than it needs to be.
Your 'bully' may in fact be better off remaining where he is, even if you need to consider getting 1, 2, or 3 more discus, to dissipate/reduce the aggression to normal levels.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-05-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a 55 gal. No offense taken I was just guessing the biggest might b 3.5 and the other 2 smaller. I decided to redo the tank actually and move all 3 fish into it. They seem much happier now and the 2 who wer getting bullied and pushed around have finally started to fight back with the more dominant fish. The reson I was going to move one was because the 2 seemed to b so stressed that they given up. Not any more. I know I need a larger group but haven't been able to save enough yet. I want to add 2 more.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424652806074.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	434697Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424652930028.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	434705

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep up what you're doing, and be patient. Time heals all, its said, and with discus, time has a way of settling out the pecking order aggression to non-serious levels.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea its at a level im comfortable with now. I was worried before because the snake skin wasn't fighting back and was just running and hiding from the turquoise. The cobalt has always kinda stood his ground. Really when I first posted I was expecting someone to say the gravel wouldn't be the best (which I knew). I decided to switch my gravel to eco complete and sand, let everything settle and then moved the snake skin in first so he could claim territory and feel comfortable so the bully wouldn't take advantage of the situation and stress him out more. When I get my 2 new fish if they aren't close size wise would it b safe to house just the 2 in a grow out tank for a month r 2? Or until they are similar sizes. I'd like to stay with the same seller/breeder (discus Hans) I will have to order so im not %100 sure il wind up with compatible sized fish that's y im asking. I'm pretty sure I can make it work just would like to hear your opinion on keeping just 2 in a separate tank for a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It could work ok, but the possibility still exists for those 2 not to get along compatibly, particularly if it's 2 months or more. But hey, give it a go if you have to - you can always put them into the main tank with the others at any time if they show serious aggressive behavior.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Please take no offense at my being candid, but it looks to be already stunting, so may not grow much larger than it is now, even with good care & large frequent wcs.
Still a nice-looking fish though, so enjoy it, even if it's a bit of a 'bully'.
I always love learning a bit more about Discus. What are you basing the fact that this guy/girl might be stunted on? Is it the eye or just the overall shape (lack of roundness so to say)?

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with whether or not its stunted but just trying to learn how to tell for sure.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I always love learning a bit more about Discus. What are you basing the fact that this guy/girl might be stunted on? Is it the eye or just the overall shape (lack of roundness so to say)?

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with whether or not its stunted but just trying to learn how to tell for sure.
It can be a little tricky to tell whether a discus is stunted or not. (Or if it's a runt). In addition to the size of the eye (appears larger than it should be in relationship to the overall body size) and it's position (very near the forehead), as well as the body shape ( slightly football-shaped as opposed to nearly round.
From forehead to chin, there should be enough room (body space) to vertically insert 5, 6, or 7 eyes. If it's less than 5, that also is another sign of being stunted.
The continuing presence of stress bars too, is somewhat of a give-away, along with poor coloration over several months, for whatever strain it is.
These are all strong signs it's stunted.
The concluding factor though, is it's age, if known.
A properly grown out discus usually reaches nearly 3" after around 3 months (approx. 1" per month growth) followed by slower growth of 1/2" to 3/4" in the next few months. By 6 or 7 months, it should be around 5" or so.
If the discus remains at around 3" in its 5th, 6th, or 7th month, and continues to exhibit the other traits mentioned earlier, then you can be more or less certain it's stunted.
BTW, a stunted discus is one that turns out that way due to the being grown out in less than ideal water quality and conditions, whereas a runt (like pups) are genetically disposed to remain very small from birth.
Hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't believe Discus Hahn is in the habit of selling poor specimens so ..several small feeding's a day with high protein food's,three to four 50 % water changes a week until they are four or five inches, would go long way to help future fishes develop to their full potential.
IMHO
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
It can be a little tricky to tell whether a discus is stunted or not. (Or if it's a runt). In addition to the size of the eye (appears larger than it should be in relationship to the overall body size) and it's position (very near the forehead), as well as the body shape ( slightly football-shaped as opposed to nearly round.
From forehead to chin, there should be enough room (body space) to vertically insert 5, 6, or 7 eyes. If it's less than 5, that also is another sign of being stunted.
The continuing presence of stress bars too, is somewhat of a give-away, along with poor coloration over several months, for whatever strain it is.
These are all strong signs it's stunted.
The concluding factor though, is it's age, if known.
A properly grown out discus usually reaches nearly 3" after around 3 months (approx. 1" per month growth) followed by slower growth of 1/2" to 3/4" in the next few months. By 6 or 7 months, it should be around 5" or so.
If the discus remains at around 3" in its 5th, 6th, or 7th month, and continues to exhibit the other traits mentioned earlier, then you can be more or less certain it's stunted.
BTW, a stunted discus is one that turns out that way due to the being grown out in less than ideal water quality and conditions, whereas a runt (like pups) are genetically disposed to remain very small from birth.
Hope this helps.
That is some very useful information. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Don't believe Discus Hahn is in the habit of selling poor specimens so

IMHO
I would hope so too. However, a breeder who is local to me who claims he's been doing this for decades recently told me a story. He says he just made his first purchase with Hans and was very disappointed with the fish he received. I dont remember the exact details but based on the reputation Hans has this breeder was appalled at the quality of what he received. Thats the first and only negative review I've ever heard though so hopefully it was just a singular hiccup!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Don't believe Discus Hahn is in the habit of selling poor specimens so ..several small feeding's a day with high protein food's,three to four 50 % water changes a week until they are four or five inches, would go long way to help future fishes develop to their full potential.
IMHO
That's quite correct. Highly unusual, to say the least, of getting poor specimens from Hans.
However, having said that, I've seen a few examples through pics of stunted conditions having developed in fish obtained from Hans , via purchasers who had bought them at a small size (say 2.5") in the first
place, and managed to produce stunted fish over just a couple of months by raising them under poorly maintained tank conditions - it happens.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode