Fish Finder/Identifier - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Finder/Identifier

Has anyone found a website that would be simple to find fish based off these criteria

1)Adult Size (both inches and centimeters)
2)Color (ex: Cardinal Tetra = red)
3)Temperament
4)Tank Size (both Liters and Gallons)
5)Temperature Range

If I selected fish that would work for a 10 gallon it would display not only small tetras but also cory's, guppies, dwarf rainbows, and small danios instead of having to selecting rainbows and then looks through each profile to find the size of the fish and find out it gets to big for a 10 gallon. Another option is if I wanted an orange fish or fish that contained the color orange, this might display both boesmani rainbows and also the ember tetra. From there I could choose my tank size and simplify my results.

Basically it would take the Fish Profiles section to the next level in terms of finding fish and possibly helping people determine which fish they have if they are unsure (would be hard to identify if they are crossbred).

I sometimes find it frustrating to find potential stocking options when you have to go to multiple sites and then use conversion calculators. Might just have to do a little coding and come up with a simple library.

I hope that this makes sense.

Last edited by FewestKitten896; 08-04-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Easier to understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Makes sense to me and I have wished for the same but then I look at the last sentence and see why there is not such a site. The possibilities are endless!
Adult size might seem to be the easier of the many options.
So we get down to how to define adult size. Depends on about thirty different things!
I would not want to be the person who tried to build such a database only to find most did not agree!
Shopping for plants for the garden is much the same. There are vast sites to tell you what you might expect from a certain plant but you have to know the name first unless you are dealing with the truly common plants.
I agree that I would like to see it but I really doubt it will happen. Can you really begin to see a way to classify the color of a guppy?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Makes sense to me and I have wished for the same but then I look at the last sentence and see why there is not such a site. The possibilities are endless!
Adult size might seem to be the easier of the many options.
So we get down to how to define adult size. Depends on about thirty different things!
I would not want to be the person who tried to build such a database only to find most did not agree!
Shopping for plants for the garden is much the same. There are vast sites to tell you what you might expect from a certain plant but you have to know the name first unless you are dealing with the truly common plants.
I agree that I would like to see it but I really doubt it will happen. Can you really begin to see a way to classify the color of a guppy?
There are some fish that would be hard to fall into a specific color category. This might have to be an option "mixed" as a lot of people crossbreed these fish to create unique colors and mixtures of colors. There are definitely a lot of fish out there in the aquarium fish trade but makes it hard when you want something but don't realize all the options that you may have or looked over. To take it even a step further, it would be an awesome feature for a people that sell fish it could give a list of people have have these types of fish up for sale. I guess I can just keep dreaming of a perfect world and come to reality that things can never be perfect.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Temperament,and color's,change with age of fish from juvenile to adult,(cross breeding and tempers during breeding also a factor as mentioned) and the size the fish get are largely dependent on care provided although most estimates are assuming good care.
Should be no brainer that fish with capability of reaching say 10 inches will do better in larger tank than smaller.
Is why the one inch per gal rule only works with small tropicals that stay relatively small.
Have found that while searching or researching fishes that using the scientific name often yields more comprehensive info.
Serously fish .com is a favorite source for me but I do not mind searching several sources.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode