snail issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
snail issues

I was doing maintenance on my tank and and i had a couple of tiny pest snails . I pulled them out but i know if you see one or two there is probably alot more! I then noticed that there was a clear jelly looking substance on the tubers of my banana plants, is this snail eggs? What is a good. Method to tackling this issue with out using assin snail as i have nerites and i dont want to lose those. Any ideas?

Last edited by Piscesplunder; 08-04-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Keep up with maintenance, maybe be a little more frequent, feed a little less (watch and see that all is consumed) and the numbers should stay in check. I don't see any reason to panic. I can't keep them alive. I see a few here and there, barely measurable. I keep ramshorns in the 180G planted along with the nerites, and the ramshorn numbers ride the tide of my maintenance schedule. If I slack off just a bit I'll see a few here and their. A few days after a water change, they seem to all but disappear. The Nerites in that tank don't even notice the other snails; the occasional pond snail or MTS. Nerites are MUCH more fond of film algaes than anything else.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
"Pest snails" are actually good for an aquarium environment and you won't have an infestation unless its horrible unbalanced (way over feeding, too much algae, etc). They eat leftover food, algae, dieing plant matter (people will assume they damaged/eat the healthy parts of plants but they're just cleaning up parts that are already going to rot), and even biofilm. I have snails in all my tanks and love them, though smaller and slower to clean then some options they still do a great job. My husband has dwarf puffers which love snails and can eat any type, even those with trap doors like MTS, so I just periodically harvest the larger snails for my tanks to put in his as snacks. I've never had an issue with a snail population explosion.. though I did recently have a ton of baby snails eating fungus off a submerged chunk of driftwood... But I boiled the wood (without removing snails) the other day so that cut the population quickly and removed the "excess food" source.
If you are still horribly against them, and have the common pond/bladder snail they are easy enough to get rid of, they are very soft shelled and a little squish with the finger (or whatever you have on hand if you don't want to touch them) and they're gone. Their egg sacks are like a clear jelly with tiny white dots in them. Ramshorns are about as easy to kill when small too (do it plenty by accident moving stuff around the tank), but I've never tried to crush a large one...they're so pretty when they get big, especially the blue and pink ones!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok ill let it ride and see what mother nature has in store for me ! Thanks for the advice yall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode