Fish Cruelty - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Cruelty

Hi:

I do not know what to do. Am I just silly? How do I respond to this?

Two days ago, one of my housemates said he was "tired of his betta" which was sick (because he was not taking care of it properly). He took it out of the tank and threw it outside on the lawn so it would die a quick death.

Today, one of my housemates said, "Well since you are making that fish tank (I am making a black water tank), let's get rid of my Betta fish."

Get rid of the Betta fish? As in, throw it outside on the lawn? Her betta was recently ill and I nursed it back to health. Betta meds, malachite green, medicated food, you name it. Now she wants to "get rid of it?"

How does one just "get rid" of fish? She said to me, "Well it is just a fish." Her Betta is in a sick tank but is well now and ready to leave it. I have been scaping (dry start) a 5.5 gallon tank for it. Eco-Complete, Driftwood, the whole nine yards. Now she says she doesn't want it anymore. I mean --- and she says - "well why does it need a 5 gallon tank? In the store, they are in little cups. It is fine."

Argh.

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
People are stupid.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
While I don't agree with throwing a healthy fish out on the lawn to suffocate to death I have always put sick dieing fish in a paper towel and put them in the freezer to euthanize them

And yes people can be quite ignorant when it comes to keeping fish. I'm just glad my roommate doesn't do ignorant crap like that and actually defers to my decisions when it comes to fish keeping

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, it is stupid but then we all have to choose how we deal. People do the same with their kids and leave them in hot cars to die. Choose your friends carefully?
But then when you look at the total picture, it's possible your friend comes from a long line of fishermen. It's all what we get used to rather than a firm position.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

I would probably take the fish and cross the person off my list. Harsh but I do not trust people who are cruel to any living creature. Animals are defenseless against human beings and some human beings are just humungous pea-brained idiots.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante101 View Post
some human beings are just humungous pea-brained idiots.
I learned a long time ago that if I did that (scratched them off of the list) I'd have to live alone in the woods with no human contact
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

If you're stuck with a moral conviction to save the fish, you really only have one choice- take the fish and rehome it. All people have a disconnect somewhere when it comes to living beings. Even the most passive of pacifists kill bacteria every day. In that regard, their own bodies commit germ genocide on a wholesale scale every single day.

While I wouldn't pitch a Betta in the yard because I no longer wanted it, I don't think twice when I dump left over bait on the side of the road. Both are living creatures and both a pretty closely related in the whole web of life. However, my brain has two distinct disconnects. One, if I were to purchase a Betta, I would have made the moral commitment to provide as good a home as reasonably necessary* to keep it alive. Tossing the fish in the yard clearly violates that commitment. Two, commercially-raised minnows are great for bait, but juvenile Asian carp can very closely resemble bait minnows. Asian carp are a HUGE ecological problem here in the US. I'd rather be safe than sorry and I would rather off a few dozen minnows than be the guy who introduced Asian carp into a body of water.

It sounds like your roommate(s) don't view the betta as being high enough on their hierarchy of life to warrant an outpouring of compassion. Frankly, most people don't look at ornamental fish as being something that is even capable of staying alive for years at a time. So, this is what you're stuck with.

* Sometimes you just have to call it quits if the fish is too ill to survive. Rather than allow the fish to suffer, drop it in a glass full of crushed ice and aquarium water. The water will hover around 33 degrees and it is cold enough to shut the fish down in seconds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
I learned a long time ago that if I did that (scratched them off of the list) I'd have to live alone in the woods with no human contact

Ah... but see... I didn't say all humans. I said some. I don't have to live a hermit's life.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This isn't one you are going to solve once you begin to think about the full story. Kill the fish and feel bad, don't kill the fish and dump it in the lake and ruin life for a bunch of other fish as well as numerous other items like people. We all have to set some boundaries but telling others where to set their boundaries will get you a lot of grief.
Better to shake your head and go on.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Algae Grower

Yea, but all of the LFS's here, even Petco, will take-in fish if you can't care for them any longer, I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be the case elsewhere in the country. While yes LFS's are businesses out to make a profit, the majority of the people owning them care for animals and their fish and would rather take-in a fish than see it kill only because the person got board with it. They normally won't give you your money back or anything either. I know the woman running the aquatics dept at the Petco here has told me about fish that they got in that out grew the previous persons tank, they have a list of people they work with to take the larger fish. There is always a good option to take when getting rid of a fish that you don't want any more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode