Dusty Water!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dusty Water!!!

Ok so I recently began a 7.5 Gallon Planted Cube, tank has Cycled, been Planted, and Fish/Snail/Shrimp added. Currently there are 6 Emerald Eye Rasbora, 2 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 1 Mystery Snail. Everything is doing fine except the water! There's millions of tiny dust particles in the tank and will not go away (yes the substrate was thoroughly rinsed, rock cured, and tank cleaned prior to setup). Running an Aquaclear AC 20 w/ inTank Media Basket, with Pre filter sponge, filter sponge, Chemi-Pure Elite, and Bio-Rings. All Water Parameters are good (pH 7.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrate/Nitrite 0). But as I stated, no matter what I do the "dust" will not go away, I have done water changes, cleaned the filter properly, used fresh de-chlorinated water dosed with Prime, and even allowed the water to sit over 12 hours to rid itself of anything right after dosing Prime. Also tank is rimless w/ no lid, but I have never encountered this before. There were some diatoms a week ago but those have since gone and everything looks great BUT THE WATER. The AC 20 Provides great flow and no matter what the dust seems to stay. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Also attached a pic, what looks like "blur" and micro bubbles is actually the dust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	352714  

-Crackjar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It could be either super fine particles or more likely a mild bacteria bloom since it is a new tank. How long exactly has it been up and when did you add the fish

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank has been up since July 12th. Used SeaChem Stability and Flake Food to begin the Cycle on July 13th, July 20th all my tests (ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate) showed 0's after day 7, had a small ammonia spike the day before a few hours after adding food, then all disappeared. Fish were added on July 24th.

-Crackjar

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your title is appropriate Crackjar (Algae grower). That's an algae bloom. Just be patient and it will go away.

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would try a finer filter media like filter floss or a bonded filter pad. If that doesn't work it is most likely bacteria.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol thanks for the replies everyone, I suppose I could try removing the filter floss and using a finer sponge before the water reaches the Chemi-Pure/Bio-Rings. I'll see how it fairs tomorrow after my water change. Hopefully it is only an algae/bacteria bloom .

-Crackjar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode