Large water changes physically harming plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Large water changes physically harming plants?

So I've had plants in my tank for about a week now. I have been cycling and doing large water changes to keep my nitrites down but I am a little worried about my plants.

For example, I have some anubias tied to driftwood higher up in the tank. When I do a big water change the leaves don't really support themselves and the plant, which is only loosely bound, bends over and the leaves bend quite a lot as well. It is really annoying to have to retie it every time.

So far there doesn't seem to have been any damage, but it does seem like there could be some risk involved, especially when I get this tank more heavily planted. Is this something to pay attention to or do you all generally not have issues with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to allow some time for the Anubias to become attached and stay in place. This could take several more weeks, whether you do water changes or not. Large, frequent water changes should not adversely affect them, but of course it does create an inconvenience to you in having to retie them every time you do a water change - you'll just have to be patient & live with that, or do a better job of tieing them down.
Even with the water changes, it would be unusual to have insufficient residual nitrates for the plants to take up as part of their normal nutritional development & growth.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Get a python to control the flow and aim to ways the side glass or back

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 AM
gmh
Planted Member

Or if you have a smallish tank and use a bucket to change water, pour the new water in using a large glass, like a 32 oz. Gently pour in one cupfull at a time and the substrate and plants will not be disturbed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
when i do wc i pour the water directly onto my anubias. they just need time to attach themselves to the wood.

if i were you i would try to pour the water in another spot in the tank, or pour it slower for the next few weeks until it is better attached.

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)
Put a heavy glass bowl in the tank, and direct the water into the bowl when filling. Very little disturbance that way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tie the Anubias better. Each time it shifts it is breaking loose any little connection it has made and has to start over.

Alternate water change method: Refill as you are emptying, and only allow the water to drop a few inches. It will take more water to do enough of a water change, but if this is a small tank that is not a big deal.

Other way to control nitrites during cycling is to not add so much ammonia. Allow the bacteria a chance to catch up, then increase the ammonia to finish the cycle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've seen Java Fern "tied on" with rubber bands. Band them into place wait a few weeks cut the band and remove.

The suggestion of a Python AWC is a good one if your not using one. Of course there are other cheaper AWC out there on the same quality as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode