My tank setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tank setup

Hello guys, I got a few question for my tank setup cause to be honest it seems that I don't do things correctly.

2 weeks ago, I had Ich in the tank, treated it with malachite green.
1,5 weeks ago I had Algae bloom cause I left the house for 2 days and forgot to close the lights of the house (to prevent from crime). treated it with 3 days black out and Clear Fast.

now since the past few days, I'm stuck with another algae and I belieive it's call Rhizoclonium here's a picture (this was in the beginning, now it's spreaded everywhere, this thing grow FAST!!!)

First here is my tank setup:
it's a 30 Gallons tank that I have for 2 months now.

fish inside: 6 danio, 6 rasbora, 1 neon, 1 small bottom feeder, 1 small snail, 1 big red eye balloon. 5 shrimp

Light (7-8 hours a day + some minor indirect light comming from ouside): Finnex planted + 30 inchs

CO2: DIY 2L coke bottle and sometimes Flourish Excel (when changing bottle)

Nutrient: Flourish 2 times a week and Flourish Iron when needed

Filter: Aquaclear 70 with foam, Purigen and ceramic beads + Finnex Px360.

Substrate: Flourite Dark

water change: once a week (20-30%) with Prime
pH: 6.8-6.6
GH=8 drops Kh: 5 drops

My question :

1- Is my tank overcrowded?
2- How is my light compare to the top of the line light setup?
3-Should I use pressurized CO2 with this light to prevent Algae?
4- Should I use other additive to help the plants?
5- when people say "It's 8 hours of light a day" does it mean after that it's suppose to be a black out?
6- should I control the pH? if so how the hell do I do that when using CO2? I though that CO2 was making carbolic acid.
can someone explain me how you inject lots of CO2 and be able to keep the pH not too low? I'm not afraid of a few science term, I'm tired of not understanding this whole pH thing in planted tank aquarium.
7- oh and ... how the hell do I get rid of this Algae problem?

yesterday I've inserted Miracle Grow DIY root tabs (4 of them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: did 50% water change, intreduce lots of Excel and added some nutrients. algae growth has stop. tank is a little cloudy but working on it with Clear fast.

still looking for answer if people wants to help me. thank you.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Ecotopia! If you didn't have plants in your tank, I would say complete blackout to remove all that algae. I just have to ask, how much plants do you have in your tank? From what it is sounding like, there is a lot excess nutrients feeding the algae in your tank. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Don't do anything with the PH.

Do you have a test kit? Check your ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Your tank is still new and most likely not established yet. That could be the root of your problems. Also, some major water change is called for. I say 50%.

Ich was mentioned, just for future reference, you don't need to medicate your tank for ich. Heat method can be used. And yep, go easy with the medications and other bottled thingies going in your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode