First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile First Planted Tank

Hey All
It's great to be here on this forum,This is my first tank,let alone,planted.I'm nearing the end of the fishless cycle,which I will finish
with a 70%-80% water change,I was thinking of putting my plants in at this point.My tank is a Fluval Tall 29G,8000K LED,I'm planning to go with
tropical fish,temp 78f and a small co2 kit rated up to 50G
1)Is it ok to plant with 70% of water out of tank,then re-fill?
2)Would I place my fert tabs just under the roots of each grouping of plants?
3)What would be some easy plants to start with?
This is all completely new to me any tips,advice,do post,I will greatly
appreciate.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

Hi Nova! Just wondering how you're doing your fishless cycle. What did you use as a catalyst for your tank to cycle? I'm just wondering as I was a newbie once and I just listened to "keep your tank running for a week and you should be good to add your fishes," which was a generic advice that I hear from store clerks. Which is incorrect. Have you checked your water parameters?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante101 View Post
Hi Nova! Just wondering how you're doing your fishless cycle. What did you use as a catalyst for your tank to cycle? I'm just wondering as I was a newbie once and I just listened to "keep your tank running for a week and you should be good to add your fishes," which was a generic advice that I hear from store clerks. Which is incorrect. Have you checked your water parameters?
I 've got to agree with this question!
Not meant to be a picky or a put down but when we are new it is easy to get bad info and not know what we don't know. It happens all the time so it is good to get off on the right foot on the discussion.

But as a fine point, The plants can be added and they will help get the cycle going if you are not planning fish right now. It is when the fish go in that you really need the tank cycle complete.
Sounds like you have the right plan but nice to check?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hi Plante101
The guy at the first lfs told me to add fish right away and
start cycling with the fish in the tank.IMHO they are catering to the impatience of new aquarists.I started a fishless cycle 14 days ago,the third
day into which,I luckily found a 10% pure ammonia solution,no addidtives,no surfactants.I double checked with the pharmacist.I started dosing at 4ppm ammonia daily,until nitrites appeared.Starting today,
I dosed 2ppm ammonia and will do so every 4 days until I can dose 2ppm
ammonia and have zero ammonia and nitrites 24 hours later.I will consider the tank cycled at this point and do an 80% water change,then plant.
I think the fert tabs should go under the roots of every plant cluster.please correct me if I'm wrong.I am still looking for suggestions on which plants I should start with.I do appreciate the heads up on tank cycling.It's a shame some of the lfs people are giving misinformation to their new clients,not to mention,the poor fish paying the price.
Cheers

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I 've got to agree with this question!
Not meant to be a picky or a put down but when we are new it is easy to get bad info and not know what we don't know. It happens all the time so it is good to get off on the right foot on the discussion.

But as a fine point, The plants can be added and they will help get the cycle going if you are not planning fish right now. It is when the fish go in that you really need the tank cycle complete.
Sounds like you have the right plan but nice to check?
Hi PlantedRich
I can already see this is a good forum with conscientious
people and appreciate the heads up regarding cycling.Fish are the last
living things going into this tank.I want to have the tank planted and completely cycled so the fish can acclimate to their new home,with as little stress as possible.I am going tropical,so any suggestions are always welcome.
Cheers
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

I am very impressed! It is really obvious that you've thought about it. I would just like to add that you need to check your ph and nitrates, too. I didn't see it on your parameters but you may have just forgotten to include those.

As for plants, Anubias are awesome to start with. They only require low light. Amazon swords are also fairly easy if you get past them looking they are about to die before you see little growths (I am going through this right now). Java ferns are pretty easy, too. I am probably overdoing this but I pretty much sorround my swords with root tabs. I have 3 root tabs an inch and a half away from each one.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Parameters

Quote:
I am very impressed! It is really obvious that you've thought about it. I would just like to add that you need to check your ph and nitrates, too. I didn't see it on your parameters but you may have just forgotten to include those.

As for plants, Anubias are awesome to start with. They only require low light. Amazon swords are also fairly easy if you get past them looking they are about to die before you see little growths (I am going through this right now). Java ferns are pretty easy, too. I am probably overdoing this but I pretty much sorround my swords with root tabs. I have 3 root tabs an inch and a half away from each one.
Thanks Plante101
I initially tested for ph~7.6,I live in Montreal,Canada,
and was told by lfs guy that we had ideal tap water for this hobby.The same guy also said the ph would drop over time,a comment I forgot until
you mentioned it.So I tested ph today,2 weeks into cycle.
ph~6.6
ammonia~0.3
nitrites~3.0
nitrates~16.0
The nitrates are at the top of my chart,not a surprize as only massive water changes will correct this.I am using an API master test kit.I'm considering getting an additional test kit for gh and kh.thanks for the plant and root tabs tips as that phase is upcoming.
I have a small co2 kit(probably will upgrade in the future),it should suffice for now.My wife's eyes keep getting bigger as the aquarium goods are delivered.
*smiles to himself*
I'm also considering a RO kit that I can attatch to kitchen tap,perhaps I'll start another thread on that.Please keep the tips coming,this site really is a gold mine.
cheers
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't really worry abt the nitrates. You'll be addding plants first which will use those up in no time. And seeing that spike now is normal as you are at the end of your cycle. I wouldn't bother doing water changes at this period, that will just disrupt the cycling. You can add your plants at any moment to speed things up. Actually, I would have planted the same day I set up my tank. Easier to scape the tank when there's no water yet lol.

As for the RO kit, I myself would not bother. Most of the fishes that we have up here are usually bred here. They've adapted to our water condition (please feel free to negate, I won't take offense ).

Bump: When you said LFS guy said ph would drop, what did he mean by that? PH will drop in your tank? or in Montreal?

Last edited by Plante101; 08-01-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add'l clarification
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PH Drop

Quote:
I wouldn't really worry abt the nitrates. You'll be addding plants first which will use those up in no time. And seeing that spike now is normal as you are at the end of your cycle. I wouldn't bother doing water changes at this period, that will just disrupt the cycling. You can add your plants at any moment to speed things up. Actually, I would have planted the same day I set up my tank. Easier to scape the tank when there's no water yet lol.

As for the RO kit, I myself would not bother. Most of the fishes that we have up here are usually bred here. They've adapted to our water condition (please feel free to negate, I won't take offense ).

Bump: When you said LFS guy said ph would drop, what did he mean by that? PH will drop in your tank? or in Montreal?

The lfs guy said ph would drop in my tank,I started with a ph of 7.6
and have droped to 6.6 in 2 weeks.What do you think would cause that?
Is there anything I should do about it?
Cheers
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not go too far on trying to adjust the water at this time. I'm one to take things rather slowly and make small adjustments. When we get into changing the basic PH/GH/KH of the water we can easily drive ourselves crazy and also make the water parameters jump up and down in unexpected ways. In a new tank, it takes months for things to really settle into a routine. While we can tell ourselves that we know what happens in nature, there seems to be a lot of DON'T know at times. I find it far better to just give things a lot more time to settle before I really work at it. Also many times, I find things work out well even though it doesn't fit the standard knowledge.
I use the guides as simple guide and recommendations rather than hard and fast rules. Nature is very forgiving of my faults and she often goes along even though I insult her programs?
Of all the things which may hamper the proper fish and plant health, PH, GH and KH may be among the least. I find a world of other things to work out first.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bio-Film?

Hey All,
I'm in day 19 of fishless cycle and I've noticed a clear film on
the surface of the water in my tank.I'm more curious than concerned and
I've also heard the term"New Tank Syndrome",perhaps said bio-film is
a byproduct of this.Is there a type of skimmer that I could attatch to my Fluval C-3 filter?
Cheers
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

Call me stomped. I've never had a film on my tank. What's your water parameter reading now? How quickly did the film develop? And have you planted yet?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

parameters

Hi Plante101,thanks for the response.

fishless cycle day-19
no plants
no fertalizer
ph~6.4
ammonia~0.0ppm
nitrites~2.0ppm
nitrates~>16ppm-the scale for nitrates only goes as high as 16ppm
I'm using an API master test kit
I noticed the film,say 4 days ago
Cheers

Last edited by nova777; 08-04-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: *sp
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

No prob! So I did a quick googling and it could be protein build-up. What kid of filter are you using? If you have HOB, just drop your waterline. If not, add an airstone. Basically, agitating your water will break it. It is lucky that you don't have fishes yet. It blocks O2. Just don't forget, placid water is no good. Water needs to be agitated to grab oxygen.

Last edited by Plante101; 08-04-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammatical error
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
No prob! So I did a quick googling and it could be protein build-up. What kid of filter are you using? If you have HOB, just drop your waterline. If not, add an airstone. Basically, agitating your water will break it. It is lucky that you don't have fishes yet. It blocks O2. Just don't forget, placid water is no good. Water needs to be agitated to grab oxygen.
Hey Plante101,thanks for the response and googling efforts,I do appreciate.I have an airstone that I was going to install after planting.I'll get that put in the tank tonight.Yes I have an HOB
Fluval C-3,so I'll drop the water line,in fact,I'll skim off what protein
I can,in doing so.There are water droplets on the plexi-part of the conopy,
that the lights are reflecting,making bio-film look a lot worse than it is.
I was just reading The 101 Best Aquarium Plants by MarY E.Sweeny.It's really informative and is repeatedly mentioning good water circulation.I
think your above post is bang on the money.I'm also looking in getting
a small powerhead for circulation,also a simple surface skimmer
that I could somehow connect to the C-3 filter,just a thought.
Thanks again.I'll post back with results.
Cheers
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

Anytime! It takes me away from thinking of my own tank. I just recently upgraded to 55g from a 29g. I purchased a few fishes a couple of weeks ago and I seem to have some fungal outbreak in my quarantine tank but enough about that.

I would actually hold off on the powerhead for a 29g. Your tank is small enough not to need it. Just keep the surface agitated. Also, depending on what fishes you stock with, some of them might not appreciate the current that a powerhead will create. Actually, got any ideas what fishes you'll put in your tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode