Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Worst Dry Start Ever

Hi:

Okay sooooo.

5.5 Aqueon Gallon Tank
Covered with Saran wrap receiving Indirect Light from Window
Eco-Complete is the substrate which is saturated

Attempting a Dwarf Pennywort carpet, which is actually fine.
Driftwood is covered in fungus. Am I not supposed to put driftwood in a dry start? I pre-boiled the driftwood that was also power washed.
Crypt is toast..melted
Creeping Jenny/Moneywart little plantlings is a brown mushy mess.

So.. the pennywort is okay and that is it. Help?

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't worry about the wood. That's just the sugars inside releasing. It will go away on its own. Some plants will melt. It's just a fact. Look for the tiny green growth at the bottom. If you see that, they will come back. Do a 50% water change every three days and you should see positive results. You should be using some sort of controlled light. If not I see lots of alga in your very near future.

Best,

Joe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Worst Dry Start Ever

I have done 2 dry starts, both with hair grass. For a couple of weeks, I didn't see anything happening other than a couple of the clumps melting. But during this period, the roots are what's growing mostly, so you don't see much. But both times the clumps that had melted grew back new leaves and it started to carpet rather quickly, and sometimes popped up in places that were an inch or two away from the nearest clump.

So basically, just keep going, and if nothing happens for another month, start over. Also, get it into more direct light. Whether that means putting it in the window, or getting a light, do it, lots of light helps speed things along.

And lastly, are you taking off the Saran Wrap every couple of days to get fresh CO2 in?

Using Tapatalk

Last edited by unionfishguy; 07-31-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: elaboration

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not been taking the Saran wrap off. It is sort of cracked.

Okay - so no despair? Do I just leave the fungus on the driftwood? I mean.. should I reboil it? what?

Thanks so much. I am keeping an eye on it. Thanks for answering because I thought my dry start was a failure. I did not know the plants would melt. I did not expect that.

The tank is sort of in the window... it is on a desk next to the window but is under the window. Maybe I just ought to put the thing outside.

dbw
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm assuming you bought the same dwarf pennywort as I did. So it should do fine with the dry start since it was emmersed. I split mine up and planted it in several tanks. So I'm really interested to see what it will look like when I get home. Being away for 10 days is killing me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode