getting out of the hobby, help me price my set up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
getting out of the hobby, help me price my set up

Want to sell my set up locally. Not sure what a fair price is. What would you let this all go for?

-26g bowfront tank with nice cabinet, storage above and below
-20lb co2 tank, regulator, hose, atomic diffuser
-Eheim 2217 (less than a year old)
-evo quad 28x3w led lamp
-hydor 200w inline heater
-co2 drop checker w/ extra fluid
-magnetic glass scrubber
-npk and csm+b, some mixed a lot of extra dry, with dosing bottles
-1 gal glutaraldehyde (seachem excel substitute)
-various test kits, ph balancers.
-lots of good quality fish food of different varieties
-fish, substrate, driftwood, plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would take it for 100$

~Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Check similar items for sale, like on craigslist or eBay, and adjust the price according to the condition.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i've done that, but people have scoffed at the price ($400). Wanted to see what the experts thought, and try to sell it for the fair price.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Probably 250-300ish, first off its hard to sell a bowfront S a lot of pole dont like em, second remember you almost can never sell aquatic stuff anywhere near what you paid for it new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanous View Post
Want to sell my set up locally. Not sure what a fair price is. What would you let this all go for?

-26g bowfront tank with nice cabinet, storage above and below
-20lb co2 tank, regulator, hose, atomic diffuser
-Eheim 2217 (less than a year old)
-evo quad 28x3w led lamp
-hydor 200w inline heater
-co2 drop checker w/ extra fluid
-magnetic glass scrubber
-npk and csm+b, some mixed a lot of extra dry, with dosing bottles
-1 gal glutaraldehyde (seachem excel substitute)
-various test kits, ph balancers.
-lots of good quality fish food of different varieties
-fish, substrate, driftwood, plants

Are you looking to just get rid of it quick or actually make some money on the deal?

The $400 range you mentioned seems pretty high for a used setup. If you're looking for that kind of money I would probably split everything up individually. The tank itself with the stand you could maybe get $100 for (but even seems pricey when you consider the $1/gallon theory). The co2 setup might be worth another $100 or so depending on the regulator etc. You might be able to ask $75-$100 for that eheim filter and probably the same price range for the light. I doubt most people would care about the rest of the items as those are the kinds of things you can usually get a seller to throw in for free when buying used stuff. As a potential buyer I would probably offer you no more than $200 (on the high end) for the whole package if I was looking.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Piece it out you can get more for it than as a package.

The empty co2 tank alone will sell for $80

Regulator depends on type, but looking at $60-$100, unless it's really a cheap pos

Aquarium - maybe $40, aquariums under 75 gallons have almost zero valve unless they are brand name rimless aquariums.

The diffuser, drop check and fluid should be an extra bonus with the co2 equipment, if someone buys the canister and regulator they get those includes. Depending on what diffuser you have that is! If it's a nice name brand diffuser you can probably sell it here easier than on Craigslist.

I am unfamiliar with that light, but given the current price it is selling for on amazon I would post it for $70, you may have better luck selling it on a saltwater forum.

If the plants are live plants, you can bundle them up and sell them that way, do grab bags for X amount of dollars and sell them that way. Hard to quote a price since I don't know what plants you have.

The fish you can probably give away it's hard to sell them in my experience.

The driftwood is toss up, if it's an awesome piece you can sell it quickly for $15-$20, if it's just a good piece probably $8-$10, a regular piece probably won't get you much of anything.

Substrate, unless it's Amazonia it has no value and it goes with the aquarium.

As for the filter, that's a pretty good filter and if your willing to wait till it sells you should be able to find someone to give you $70-$80 for it as long as it's clean.

The stand is a wildcard, around me stands are often pretty expensive but they are really really nice. If it is a store bought stand you aren't going to get much for it. If it is a custom made hard wood stand you can easily get $100-$150 for it around me. I've seen plenty of deals where the stand is twice the cost of the aquarium or more. But like I said if it's the cheap MDF stands from the store don't expect too much.

If I were in your situation, I would package the aquarium with the stand and all the other stuff, like the food, heater, etc and try and sell them together for around $125. Then piece the rest out.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 on piecing it out. I just tore down and sold a 40b piece by piece. I had it originally for $200 which is cheap! Came with 2aquaclear 70s, surface skimmer, heater, circulation pump. 60lbs of eco complete, drifwood with moss and anubias. Also all kinds of plants. Regular people dont understand the value of plants, and stuff like eco complete.

I pieced it out, and made almost double the price. Sold everything online on various sites.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
As aquarist said, part it out. At the very least, sell the tank and regulator seperately, out of all the things that go for really cheap on CL here, regulators and tanks are not that way, plus, it's not just aquarium hobbyists looking for these things. Same with the CO2 accessories, they may not fetch a great price but since they are not readily available used, someone will likely pay you a decent price.

I would likely sell the filter separately as well, that should go for a decent price.

The light and heater may go for more separately, they may also be hard to sell for a good price, at least quickly.

Then, sell the rest of it together. Actually, you may want to sell the fish first so that someone doesn't need to take that over, same with plants.

I find when someone is selling a whole tank, even if they say they are willing to part it out and sell things separately, I tend to over look it unless they actually put prices.

Many who don't know what they are looking at won't see the difference between your tank and a much simpler setup. The CO2 regulator and filter should be easy to get more than half of what you want, depending on what regulator you actually have.

Remember that even some hard core hobbyists don't really ever get past a starter kit, I was talking to someone in the LFS a week or two ago and even though he had a few hundred dollars in freshwater live stock, and was spending another $150 that day, he still had a basic HOB, stock lighting, and framed tank setup, never thought about keeping live plants, etc. If you compare your tank to a full starter setup, it's hard to figure out where the $400 comes into play for many.

Funny enough, I did the opposite on my last tank I sold. I had a light I couldn't get rid of, a stand I personally hated, and some HOB filters I probably couldn't give away. Added the tank, sold it for $40, was pretty happy about that, even though it was $200 worth of stuff new, I couldn't get rid of it because it was all cheap stuff.

No way I would sell either of my current tanks together, even my last 6 gallon rimless with curved glass, most offered me $5-10. I sold it for $30 which was a great price. It was crazy, he came from SF (about a 3 hour drive round trip since he was in traffic), was super pumped, and it turns out he bought it for an auto top off. That's a buyer I can live with, haha, rimless auto top off when you could just buy a $5 5 gallon.

-Matt

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like most hobbies, unless you are into guns, you are never going to get out of it what you have in it. Just remember you didn't, hopefully, get into it for an investment and you can't put a price on pleasure.

The wheel turns.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Unless your tank has that new car smell.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
Like most hobbies, unless you are into guns, you are never going to get out of it what you have in it. Just remember you didn't, hopefully, get into it for an investment and you can't put a price on pleasure.
I feel that this hobby is much worse than most for resale value though. You can sell high end stuff for maybe the same as another hobby but when it comes to regular, functioning things, I feel like once you take it out of the box, it's worth 1/3 to 1/4 of what it was. That's why I think it's best to part out your tanks, selling the high end stuff separately from the regular stuff.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode