Do Otos eat plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Do Otos eat plants?

Or is something else going on with my Wisteria?

For the most part the leaves are green and healthy and i'm getting growth in my Wisteria plants int he 5g, BUT there's little holes (that seem to be increasing in size/number) on some of the leaves. Could my Otos be ding this? or is it more likely a nutrient thing? I have 3 Otos and 1 Betta in this tank. Regular aquarium gravel substrate, red sea nano filter, wisteria, cabomba, anubias nana petite (i think) and red crypt wendtii (large and small). Usually when i've had wisteria die-off in the past, the whole leaf would turn sort of brown and clear. This is totally different.

Here are some pics.....any thoughts / ideas / input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, stats as of last night:

Ammonia: 0
nitrIte: 0
nitrAte: 5-10
pH: 7.2
GH: 8
KH: ~3

edit: could this be a residual effect from the heat wave? Or something caused by the plants going from my .75wpg 20g to my ~2.5 wpg 5g?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Ottos will eat decaying plant matter. Plants in .75wpg are going to be dying for the most part. So, they'll munch on that.

Don't worry about the ottos. Focus on the plants and the ottos will help you run a tight ship.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

These plants are in my 5g with 2.5wpg, and doing worse than in the 20g with .75 wpg though, that's why i'm confused. I dose with flourish excel and comprehnsive. My .75wpg 20g grows plants like it's on a mission! I'll keep an eye on it and remove the dcaying matter and see what happens from there thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You just recently added the wisteria, correct? I think the plants may just be going through an adjustment to the different lighting, etc. in the new tank. For the most part the plant looks green, so I'd probably just trim off a few of the leaves that are the most holey in hopes of encouraging the plant to put out some new ones.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, I did just replant it in the 5g from the 20g with quite different lighting conditions especially. I've trimmed off the leaves that looked the worst and will keep an eye on the rest. The tops of all the plants are sending out new leaves, so hopefully the sides will be encouraged to do the same now!

As always, thanks for the advice!!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I wouldn't worry about it. I have wisteria in my tank with ~1.33 wpg and when I first moved it in a lot of the plant turned brown.

I've found that, as has been said, no matter what changes, and whether for good or bad, the plant will have an adjustment phase. Kind of interesting: moving the wisteria in, most plants looked a little sickly for a couple of days and then took off like weeds, but when I moved in my barclaya longifolias, all immediately put on like 3-4 leaves!

Good luck but I don't think you're in big trouble; I think trimming back and just waiting for the adjustment to happen is your best bet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode