Does it mean sh...........t how long you kept fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Does it mean sh...........t how long you kept fish?

Hi Ladies and Gents,
First off i wanted to say how appreciative i am to all who helped me on this forum!Thanks to all who sold me great stuff and plants!Also a big thank you for the advice that is so readily available on here!
Was just wondering how everyone got to be so good at this hobby?And i`m talking to the people who are on here giving great advice.I seriously want to know your secret.Is it trial and error?Is it books and the internet?Is it others helping you out when you ask?Do you have to live and breath fish and plants?Really just wondering.
help me out here,and make me feel better as my 20 or
so years in the hobby seem not enough to keep fish from dying.
thanks much,
Dave

Own a Toyota?Need parts?Parts at wholesale!Call me at 1-800-651-1743 ask for Dave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You do know that ALL fish die, right?

(Okay, sorry, if I didn't say it someone else would have!)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mine has been through trial and error, myself and others on different forums also. So basically, ive learned from my mistakes and others mistakes. And endless research

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
with plants for me it was mostly trial and error. i put it in spot A, doesnt grow well, i move it to spot B growth is explosive, then i know what it needs.

for fish and plants (recently) its research. internet mostly as a lot of places have plant and fish profiles (like this site). aquahobby.com is great too, especially for fish. and plantgeek.com is good for plants. there are plenty of books, one of the best being Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. i just got one recently, and i learned a lot.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've been keeping fish for a long time too, but I have a lot of fish mysteriously die. Some times it's one fish that dies or all of one species that dies, other times it's a random picking off of different species all at the same time. Testing water parameters and looking for spots on the fish isn't always very revealing. Sometimes fish just die. Experiance might help you detect an illness a little sooner and treat the fish before it is too late but I don't think it will stop you from having fish die. I lost 3 angel fish from a cycled tank I was doing water changes in 2-3x per week. I can't believe water quality could have been a factor unless the water was too clean. I have a feeling that anyone who tells you they rarely have fish die is either lying, isn't keeping many fish or hasn't bought any new fish for quite a while. Right now I've got 4 aquariums setup and I've had more fish losses than I ever had with just one aquarium setup, but I'm also keeping a lot more fish and I'm keeping some of the more rare and difficult to keep fish. Someone who has a single aquarium with one or two specimines of a very hardy species probably won't have many deaths.

I've had the same thing happen with plants, although I've only been keeping plants for 8 months or so, I had a few months where all my java fern in 2 different tanks slowly turned brown and died. Eventually the rhizomes sprouted new green leaves but it was pretty annoying that I killed the indestructable java fern.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
You do know that ALL fish die, right?

(Okay, sorry, if I didn't say it someone else would have!)
Funny guy Church,we kill you last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He,he.
Seriously though,thanks for the thoughts.I love this hobby, i should have been an ichtyologist.
Dave

Own a Toyota?Need parts?Parts at wholesale!Call me at 1-800-651-1743 ask for Dave!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It's important to remember that not everyone is good at this hobby - not even close. And, as with any other hobby, we're all (or at least I am, maybe I can't speak for everyone else) learning new things and discovering new methodologies and techniques all the time. I think the most valuable resource for me has been the ability to network with other aquarists...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have worked in the industry off an on for close to 25 yrs and kept fishes for close to 30 yrs.

You learn from your mistakes, others advice and you drive on. As long as you are not making the same mistakes more than once you are doing well.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
isn't keeping many fish or hasn't bought any new fish for quite a while.
I think not buying fish and breeding your own or getting them from local breeders is key. My 46 gallon is full of store bought fish and I have mystery deaths about every 3 or 4 months. I always do 50% weekly water changes and it doesn't stop the mystery illness.

M a r k
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think the more you interact with other ppl with the same passion the more you get a chance to learn. If there are any local clubs in the area that's an awesome place to learn.

Reading books and magazines about the hobby is another great source of information.

Be a sponge and take in as much as possible, mix it with your own experience, and you'll find you have things to share with others.

I've kept and bred fish as a hobbyist for about 25 years, and stared getting into planted tanks about 4 years ago. Only recently started participating in online forums.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
I've been keeping fish since I was little, but when I got older and more "into" it, I started reading. Lots of books, magazines and internet articles(once I was on). If you read enough, you'll find out that you will know what a fish needs just depending on where they are found(usually). Forums have helped a ton as well...nothing like getting advice on things from others who have been through it, it helps a ton. Otherwise it is trial and error and boy can it get frustrating. If I see a fish I like and I don't know about it(rare), I go home, rsearch away, find personal experiences with them online, and if it still seems good, I'll get it. The worst thing you can do in this hobby is impulse buys....unless it's a better light or upgrade sort of impulse buy. I havn't been into the planted tank scene as long, but if you know enough about the rest of the necessities, you pick up pretty quick(although my tanks don't show it yet...lack of funds until next month.)

I havn't heard of anyone breeding bleedinghearts, so I set up a tank outside, and I'm going from there... best of luck to you, and happy fish keeping.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhun67 View Post
Hi Ladies and Gents,
Was just wondering how everyone got to be so good at this hobby?And i`m talking to the people who are on here giving great advice.I seriously want to know your secret.Is it trial and error?Is it books and the internet?Is it others helping you out when you ask?Do you have to live and breath fish and plants?Really just wondering.
All of the above plus a really good local fish store, (as in one owned by a hobbiest). The biggest secret, experience & knowing that even with a lot of years under your belt(40 in my case), there is still a lot to learn.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks all!I joined up to GCAS.org and also Cafe, both local Ohio fishclubs.So far the people are awesome!
Dave

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
I think not buying fish and breeding your own or getting them from local breeders is key. My 46 gallon is full of store bought fish and I have mystery deaths about every 3 or 4 months. I always do 50% weekly water changes and it doesn't stop the mystery illness.
where do you get the fish?
do they seem to grow abnormally fast right after you get them? if yes then they are most likely from asian fish farms that pumped them full of growth hormones. they die of old age. the hormones make them grow fast, but age equally quick. any spawns from them are perfectly normal fish though.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode