Odd pressure readings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Odd pressure readings

Hello everyone! It's been a loooooong time since I've posted a thread with a question. So, here we are.

Normally, when injecting CO2 via my pressurized system, I usually only need somewhere around 10-20 psi on the right side pressure gauge in order to get a large flow/rate of bubbles (3+bps), which I then make precise via a needle valve. This is what I suspect to be normal.

Just recently I re-filled my tank, which now reads a bit over 1000psi. I now am experiencing what I believe to be a significant problem that'd I'd like to fix as soon as possible. Too bad I don't know how.

To get a flow of bubbles into my bubble counter past a fully opened up needle valve, I need to have about 50-60psi on my right side pressure gauge, something I know to be WAAYY too high. To get around 3bps I need about 70psi! I know this to be far too much,as I've had this regulator for a long time and have never needed more than 20psi on my right side gauge.

What's wrong with my regulator/CO2 set-up? How do I fix it?

CRITICAL INFO - I know that it is nothing along the diffusion line, say my diffuser or check valve, or glass piping, that is providing resistance to up the pressure, as when I removed the top of my bubble counter, effectively releasing CO2 into plain old air, the pressure still required about 40-50 psi in order to get 2bps. That's still wayyyyy too high, so the problem is not anything along the diffusion line.

Misc. facts:
I'm using pretty long polyurethane tubing
I have a plastic check valve (piece of crap)
ADA diffuser
24" glass tubing connecting to the diffuser so I can have it in the front without ugly white tubing

What's wrong with my regulator/CO2 set-up? How do I fix it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Is it possible your check valve is messed up and requires more pressure to open?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Is it possible your check valve is messed up and requires more pressure to open?
nope, cause when I removed everything but the bubble counter, like I said, effectively releasing the CO2 straight into the air with no in-line resistance, it still took a good 40-50psi to get up to 2-3bps. Thanks though

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
oops, missed that part
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Anyone?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you even removed the needle valve?
Can't you adjust the needle valve instead?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
you even removed the needle valve?
Can't you adjust the needle valve instead?
Adjusting the needle valve? It's all the way open, adjusting it wouldn't give me higher BPS at lower working pressures...

I have not tried removing it, will do that now.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
huh... all the way open? something weird is going on.. I'm afraid you might blow up your glass diffuser.

I wonder if it's your diffuser. The membrane might be gummed up and not let any CO2 to go through.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

no, its nothing to do with the diffuser. I disconnected all that stuff and 1bps was reached at a working pressure of 40psi. Its a problem with the reg, solenoid, needle valve, or bubble counter. Something is blocking the path of CO2 and I need to figure out what (nothing to do with anything past the bubble counter as I removed all that stuff and got same results)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it possible that you got some debris from the threads of the new tank into your regulator or needle valve? Did you open the valve on the tank briefly before connecting the regulator to blow off any debris that might have accumulated there? It sounds like some type of foreign object made its' way into your regulator or needle valve to me.

Dave
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Is it possible that you got some debris from the threads of the new tank into your regulator or needle valve? Did you open the valve on the tank briefly before connecting the regulator to blow off any debris that might have accumulated there? It sounds like some type of foreign object made its' way into your regulator or needle valve to me.

Dave
I have been talking to someone who really knows his stuff on this topic and he is gearing towards what you said, a foreign object blocking the flow somewhere within the rig. I'm going to try what you recommend right now and come back with the results. Thanks bro

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
I can stop by later Chris if its still not working right and check it out for you.

Let me know via PM if needed.

FWIW, are you sure the regulator is seated properly on the CO2 tank? Check that seal!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

no good... So it has to be either the regulator itself, the built in check valve that I didn't know was there (right after the gauge, before the solenoid), the solenoid, the needle valve, or the bubble counter. How do I take this thing apart and check for any obstructions?

Glenn - ygpm

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Don't take apart the regulator body!

What brand is this thing? Milwaukee? If so, the needle valve may be shot. I have heard horror stories about them. If you need me to look at it, like I said, I can be over in a couple hours.

I have a spare needle valve that you can borrow (but only for a little while until you get another one, if that is indeed the problem.) Its from my little over grow tank, but I can let that suffer for a little while.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Don't take apart the regulator body!

What brand is this thing? Milwaukee? If so, the needle valve may be shot. I have heard horror stories about them. If you need me to look at it, like I said, I can be over in a couple hours.

I have a spare needle valve that you can borrow (but only for a little while until you get another one, if that is indeed the problem.) Its from my little over grow tank, but I can let that suffer for a little while.
Oh man thats probably it! How do I take it off? If you could lend me one I'd order one today! That'd be so great, thanks Glenn

And I sent you a pm couple minutes ago

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode