anyone know what this is? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
rick4him

anyone know what this is?

So in my 90P tanks that is going through the cycle phase (3rd week) I have started to get what looks like "snot" on my hairgrass.

It's not green - it's clear, really like snot form you nose. In fact it looks like that same slimly stuff that was on the glass. It is all over my hair grass today - it sort of looks like my hair grass is covered in cotton.

It looks like the water current could have pushed what ever that stuff is around the tank and it is getting "caught" on the hair grass. (simply because there is more of it on one side vs. the other) - I'm just not sure what it is - it doesn't look like any sort of alega.

Anyone ever seen this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I got some snot in my tank while it was cycling; it only appeared in one certain area of the tank, on and around one small section (4"x2") of driftwood. I removed it via water change and after the second or third "outbreak" it just never came back. I've heard of other people experiencing a similar type of "growth," especially when using aquasoil. so, my advice would be to remove all that you can manually ASAP, and then just watch it. When it comes back, remove it; I think that since I was vigilant about keeping its growth at bay by getting it out of the tank whenever I would notice it, I prevented a potentially more serious (ie larger) outbreak. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's all I've got. Good luck.

Oh yeah - any way you could post a picture? I'd be able to tell you if it resembles the phlegm my tank produced a while back.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 PM
rick4him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
I got some snot in my tank while it was cycling; it only appeared in one certain area of the tank, on and around one small section (4"x2") of driftwood. I removed it via water change and after the second or third "outbreak" it just never came back. I've heard of other people experiencing a similar type of "growth," especially when using aquasoil. so, my advice would be to remove all that you can manually ASAP, and then just watch it. When it comes back, remove it; I think that since I was vigilant about keeping its growth at bay by getting it out of the tank whenever I would notice it, I prevented a potentially more serious (ie larger) outbreak. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's all I've got. Good luck.

Oh yeah - any way you could post a picture? I'd be able to tell you if it resembles the phlegm my tank produced a while back.
Here ya go...is this what you had?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	8532  

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Oh I got something similar looking when I was first cycling my 5g, I thought it looked more like dust than snot, but it looks just like your picture. I did the same thing as ColeMan and removed it with water changes, it eventually stopped coming back! Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

actually, no, it doesn't look anything similar to what I had. I just caught myself scratching my head - I didn't know people actually did that when they were trying to think...I think your best bet is to remove as much as possible when you can. Cycling tanks do weird things, and I'm sure this is one of them. After you get it most of it out, be mindful of your tank - watch for inconsistencies in CO2 or see if something like reducing your photoperiod helps quell its return. Best of luck, Rick. I've really enjoyed reading your journal and look forward to seeing some more pictures of a happier eleocharis acicularis. I still can't get over that picture...it looks like you didn't dust inside your tank for a couple of years! - what the hell is that stuff?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 AM
rick4him

Quote:
actually, no, it doesn't look anything similar to what I had. I just caught myself scratching my head - I didn't know people actually did that when they were trying to think...I think your best bet is to remove as much as possible when you can. Cycling tanks do weird things, and I'm sure this is one of them. After you get it most of it out, be mindful of your tank - watch for inconsistencies in CO2 or see if something like reducing your photoperiod helps quell its return. Best of luck, Rick. I've really enjoyed reading your journal and look forward to seeing some more pictures of a happier eleocharis acicularis. I still can't get over that picture...it looks like you didn't dust inside your tank for a couple of years! - what the hell is that stuff?
hahah I don't know. but I was getting it off the grass when I noticed it wasn't really attached to the plant - rather just caught on it. If I just run my tweezers through the grass it all comes right off - no stick. It really is like dust...SO STRANGE!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

This algae sounds similar to what you might have...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/surface-algae-2938.html
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
just brush it off.. You need to replant them anyways. Spread out the bunches more..

Make sure to give them plenty of CO2 & lights & nutrients or they'll get engulfed in algae.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i think it's just detritus.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
rick4him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
just brush it off.. You need to replant them anyways. Spread out the bunches more..

Make sure to give them plenty of CO2 & lights & nutrients or they'll get engulfed in algae.
Hey thanks - I don't think they need to be replanted. They are spread out alot, there is alot of it. Take a look at my 90p journal and you'll see the entire picture. They are spread out allot.

I have a grand solar one light which is an AWESOME light, and I'll be doing the entire line up of ADA ferts in the tank, so I think it will be taken care of.

Thanks!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i think thats a coating of bacteria. i saw it many times in uncycled water (usually bowls). i think it should go away on its own when your tank is done cycling. and its clear, so its not blocking a significant amount of light.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
This algae sounds similar to what you might have...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/surface-algae-2938.html
i just went to that link, and that sounds a lot like surface scum, not algae.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

yeah you're right...that isn't what I read earlier this morning....maybe I posted the wrong link...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
This is the stuff I had in my tank:

To me it looks very similar to your picture. I could be wrong though. But I just sucked it out with water changes, and once the tank it was cycled it went away and i haven't seen it since.

Good luck!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
rick4him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
This is the stuff I had in my tank:

To me it looks very similar to your picture. I could be wrong though. But I just sucked it out with water changes, and once the tank it was cycled it went away and i haven't seen it since.

Good luck!
Yelp - I think that is the same stuff - It goes away really quick. Weird - I wonder what it is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode