help with first tank. 125g with 10 piranha - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow help with first tank. 125g with 10 piranha

im about to set up my 125 and need some guidance. this tank has 10 pygos in it, which i know is going to be tricky, if even possible. lighting is going to be 156 watts from t-5s with not-so-great reflectors (current), and 100-120 watts from t-8s with regular white hoods. this brings me somewhere around 2.2wpg. filtration will be an fx5 and xp3. for substrate i am thinking aquariumplants.com own substrate OR soilmaster select, depending on availability, with a little black sand (thats in the tank now) on top. i am also going to be injecting co2. i already have 2 5lb tanks and a regulator. i need to get a solenoid, bubble counter and figure out a way to diffuse it into my tank. right now im thinking my best (and cheapest) bet is to run it through a powerhead like a rio 800 with venturi. i plan on dosing dry ferts as well.

now for some background info, my PH has always been unstable as long as i remember. my tap water params are: kh is sometimes under 1 degree and always below 2 degrees. GH is under 4. ph is 6.8-7. this is measuring immediately from the faucet with no dechlorinator. (is this the proper way?) ive also tried measuring after the tap water sat out over night with dechlorinator added, and from what i remember the params were quite different, ecspecially ph which was a full point higher at 7.8. as you can imagine with the heavy bioload of 10 pygos and no carbonate hardness my ph is unstable at best. i have tried everything i know from baking soda (which is a dramatic short lived solution with a crash) to adding a bunch of crushed coral (which works great if you dont do water changes very often, but for this tank i need to change at LEAST 50% a week, and usually closer to 4-5 days, and the coral just doesnt have time to buffer the water.my ps flash after every water change every time. im almost at wits end and have decided to take all the crushed coral out of the tank and just monitor my PH for a while and just reevaluate the situation.

for plants in this tank, im thinking mainly swords, crypts, anubias, vals, sag, java ferns and moss, with some stems like l aromatica and so on. obviously i need to keep as much swimming room as i can, so im not looking to do a real full, tank consuming scape, moreso just a background of tall plants, accented with swords, ferns and anubias, and then sags, wendtiis, etc covering the rest of the mid/fore ground.

anyway, i guess what im looking for from you is just general concerns and advice from your experience with both high tech tanks as well as piranhas. do you think i can make this work? what do you think is good and whats not so good, etc. thanks alot, i really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
From what I have read, piranhas like lower light and can be very skiddish.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would think they would tend to tear up the tank during feeding time as well.

Kind of off topic, but I thought that piranhas were banned in the US.

I have seen a planted tank with piranhas before, and I think there is videos on youtube.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
i think only a few states have a ban about this.

CA is one of them.

heres a huge tank with specs for pirahnas, jsut divide them to about ur tank size, the info should help. I'll give some pics too, since its nice

Tank Size: 500 x 110 x 110 cm (197 x 43 x 43 in)
Volume: 6000L (1587 gallons)
Title: Last day at the Amazon
Plants: (1)Sagittaria subulata (2)different Cryptocoryne wendtii:brown,tropica,green,mi oya,... (3)different Echinodorus:aquartica,rubin,tropica,... (4)Microsorum pteropus (5)Anubia nana.var.nana (6)Nymphaea lotus red (7)Vallisneria gigantea
Fish/Animals: 200 pieces x Neritina natalensis, 100 pieces x Otocinclus affinis, 1000 pieces x Paracheirodon axelrodi, 35 pieces x Serrasalmus nattereri
Substrate: Tropica substrate
Gravel: natural river gravel
Decoration: big river gravel
Background Background: artificial background decoration
Lighting T5 tubes: 40 x 39 Watt
Filtration: Sandfilter canister filter (high pressure filter)
other Information: CO2 automaticaly dosing - Ph control, 300 liter daily freshwater inflow, automaticaly fertilizer dosing, UV lamp
Maintenance: By the staff from Kölle-Zoo Frankfurt

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

fishman9809 -

Your images aren't working.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

hmmmmm

tahts strange, i'll jsut give the links then to the tank info and eveyrhting with pics.:

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/piranha
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I have seen that one. Absolutely amazing. I would love to have a tank similar to that, except when it came to maintenance.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

am i just crazy or does it say he has ottos with piranhas in that last day at the amazon tank?

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
am i just crazy or does it say he has ottos with piranhas in that last day at the amazon tank?
Nope, not crazy. One hundred of them. He has 1000 cardnials in there too. You can actually see them.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That tank is amazing. The piranhas actually look really good in that tank in the big shoal. Most tanks I see just have a few.

Too poor to keep any tanks up

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
these fish go fine together, the pirahnas are too big to care about smalll fish
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks fishman. that tank is amazing! i have seen it before but never the list of plants and stock, so thats a big help. the lights wont be a problem the fish will get used to it. i have alot of experience with piranhas, the kinds of things i had questions about are more along the lines of the planted side of things. do you guys think it will work? for instance is it going to be a problem not being able to keep my nitrates at a constant level? these fish make about 20 ppm every 2-3 days depending on how i feed them. with this amount of light how important do you think it is that i start out with a lot of weeds? do you think i would be ok with most of the plants that i listed from the start, or should i plant fast growing stems only? would this be a medium light tank i guess?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

LOTS of fast growing, nutrient absorbing stems. try fast plants like bacopa, swords are good at producing oxygen, i dont know when it comes to nutrient absorbtion

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode