Suggestions for newly re-planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Suggestions for newly re-planted tank

Hi all!
Found this forum when searching for a 'cure' to Black Beard algae and have been reading non-stop since!

Quick background:
Have had FW tanks since as long as i can remember, was up to about 15 tanks between 5-55gal when i was younger. Moved a few yrs ago and only had room for my current 28g (i think) bowfront i got as a gift.

Its been up for about 2.5yrs, with a semi-complete take down when i moved last yr. it was lightly planted with a few amazon and melon swords along with a few 'grass' type plants i cant remember the name of. Im a tetra fan so i had neons, glowlights, black neons, head and taillights, a few rasboras, 2 small corys, pleco and khuli loach and the head of the tank a Deep Red colored Betta.
Unfortunately work and life got in the way and i slacked off (not stopped) on the water changes these last few months... add in 2 out of town trips where i used 'auto-feeders' that im sure didnt help.. i began to get the dreaded black beard algae.
I finally got a chance to do a much needed cleaning that involved a 50% change using a gravel-siphon to suck up excess junk, used hot water and scrubbed off the algae coated rocks, trimmed the affected (infected ) leaves and tried to scrape off as much of the algae as possible. once that was done i did another small 15% change just to make sure all was good.
I decided i wanted to plant more for a more natural look so i picked up 2 larger swords, a java fern and 2 bunches of a red/green leafed plant i cant remember the name for (long week guys, sorry). Also picked up 2 Otto's and a few more Neons the day after the replant.
Here is the tank info that i can remember. I want to stay low tech as possible.
-28g Glass Bowfront Tank
-TopFin 30 Outside Filter (activated carbon, ammo rocks filter media)
-Whisper 40 air pump going to 2 stones powering an undergravel filter
-Eclipse 17w Florescent light
-200w heater
-gravel (2-5mm stones) over undergravel filter

Now for the questions and hopefully some suggestions from the experienced planters out there
1) light - for the plants i have, is 17w enough? is the stock generic bulb ok or should i get diff temp (6500k) or 'aqua-glow' type light? or higher wattage or 2 light setup) remember, i want to keep low-tech but want to make sure my plants are getting what they need to keep going. (also dont wanna blind my tetra's )
2) additives - do? dont? from what i read Phosphorus (K) is all that is usually required for a mildly planted tank cause of the N and P already there from fish waste and feeding. when do i need to even think about CO2 ? will the airstones and filter do enough to keep CO2 constant by pulling in outside air?

If anyone see's anything or thinks of anything i should do, not do or is just good info i may not know... please post.
here is a blurry shot of my tank, i turned the tank light on just for this pic so most of the fish or hiding. and i think the curved front made the perspective really wierd, it looks much better in person

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
i'd say up the lighting if 28gal, 17 watts is a bit low (some will say really low) but you want above 1 wpg (watt per gallon) and below 2 wpg so some ware in the say 30watts to 50 watts of lighting would be good. for the spectrum (K rating) i would say anything between 5500K and 10000K is good for plant. if you going low tech then firtz aren't really needed

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Ozymandias-
thanks for the input. i was actually looking online for higher wattage lights, but i think for the 18'' hood i have im screwed, i dont think i can add higher wattage in that one. I think a 2 tube hood may be on the menu then, probably with 2 17w or similar lights. Wonder how the increase in light will affect algae. i did really good for a long time until black beard showed up. sooo ugly.
thanks!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT! This place is VERY addicting! LOL And, I also am a tetra freak

You could try trimming most of the BBA out, and then spot-treating the rest with a syringe or eyedropper full of Excel or hydrogen peroxide- both of those will kill BBA on contact. You can do this directly in the tank.

I agree you'll need to bump up your lighting. Big Als online has some pretty cheap Coralife T5 fixtures you could get for under $50, and put that over a glass hood. This would be a pretty easy fix.

I think your red and green plant is a Ludwigia species?

The darker green plant you have front center looks like a Java fern "windelov" variety- Java ferns need to have their rhizomes exposed to the light (that's the thick green part that the leaves and the white roots grow from). You can leave it in the substrate as long as you pull the rhizome out, or you could tie it to some of your hardscape- IME Java ferns tend to grow best this way.

www.RexGrigg.com is a good place to read up on ferts. Ozy is correct that if your bioload is high enough in this tank you may not need to dose ferts at all, since your tank is low light/low tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

lauraleellbp -
thanks for the info ill measure the tank tonight to see the length i need for the new hood, and its already got a glass lid.
I think the bioload is pretty descent... about +1 fish per gallon.
1 - Betta
10 - neons (6 fairly young)
4 - rasboras
5 - glowlights
4 - black neons
3 - head n taillights
2 - small corys
1 - pleco
1 - khuli loach
2 - ottos

Think i am about at the limit fish wise?
they are mostly small tetras (the Blacks and HnT and 4 of the neons are about 2 yrs old, senior citizens, thus the smaller numbers)
Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That's a LOT of fish for a 28gal tank! IMO you'll need to plan on at least weekly 50% water changes if you maintain that bioload. Plus I'd upgrade the filtration.

UG filters can be problematic in planted tanks. Plant substrate and plant roots both tend to work their way through the plates and clog the water flow, shutting down the effectiveness of the filter, causing problems including potential nitrate spikes/algae blooms and making it difficult to pull up and rearrange the plants later on.

Canister filters are nice b/c they minimize the amount of equipment in the tank. You can also put heaters and CO2 equipment in-line with a canister filter if you decide to down the road.

Otherwise, I'd probably upgrade to an AquaClear or Emperor/Penguin HOB (hang on back) filter instead of the Tetra. These 2 filters do a better job with biological filtration than a Tetra.

Loaches and catfish are typically social fish and do best kept in small schools. I'd add about 3 more Khulis and 2 more Cories, and remove the pleco. You didn't mention what species, but most plecos get too big and are too high a bioload fish for a tank your size.

I'd also go with just 2 species of tetras and larger schools of each (say 10 fish per school), but that's mostly personal preference. The tetras you listed shouldn't have issues with each other, but also would probably do better in larger schools.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi all.. sorry to bring back an old post but i just wanted to update a lil bit.

Hit up several local stores but none have a 24in HO light thats under $120. guess i need to get it online.
also, you got me worried about the bioload on the tank, and i noticed friday night one of my rasbora's got what i assume was hemorrhagic septima but it was too late to goto the store. before i left sat am for a wedding out of town.. i did a 30% water change and added some sea salt but it was too late, she was dead when i got home from work today (with a $12 bottle of antibiotics ) but i also picked up a full test kit since i was out of everything.

Ph is a lil high - 7.3-7.5 i think but its due to my tap water. what do u recommend to lower it slowly and naturally. remember its something i will have to do every water change or so.
Ammonia - was 0
Nitite - was also 0
Nitrate - was about 10-40ppm, was more orange then red but it looks different depending on the light i use to look at it.

I will do another change (10gal or so) tonight just to see how if it lowers the Nitrates at all.

I am thinking of upgrading the filter as you recommended also.

anything else you can think of that would be helpful to keep my lil guys happy let me know.

thanks all!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

damn petsmart.. taking all my money.
picked up a Fluval 205 canister filter
-Charcoal media
-Biomedia
-clearmax media for Nitrates, Nitrites and ammonia

Sound good?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
With that load you may want to consider two 25-30% water changes a week, as stated before that is A LOT of fish for that amount of water. Consider that your substrate, rocks,other decor, and plants displace water. So in a tank that probably didn't hold 28 gallons to begin with, you've displaced, I would say, at least 3-4 gallons. By my estimation you have between 60-70 inches of fish, following the inch per gallon rule(which I don't suggest using) in about 25 gallons of water. Other than the water quality issues, those fish arn't going to have much room physically, which can cause alot of stress. Adding extra filtration will help with the water quality but not so much with the physical constraints of the tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

i know i have a high bioload compared to some, but i've always used the same rule you do.. fish inch per gallon. Ive never had issues with fish health or other issues. I do at least a 30% change every 2 weeks, usually every Sunday.
In fact i think they are very healthy and happy because on several occasions (right now actually) i see the Rasbora's 'dancing', the female is quite fat...and one of my Glowlights laid eggs a few months back. catfish was following and eating them tho

....Back to the filter, anyone used peat in their canister to soften the water and lower ph? is the affect cumulative? do i need to remove the peat after a certain time? i saw it at the store, and know that some people recommend "peat filtration" for most tetra's, and a closer to neutral pH would be better all around. ive never used it because i didnt need too, water at my previous house was neat neutral, however its very alkaline here.
And as i mentioned earlier, is my current setup of filtration media ok? I normally only use charcoal and ammo rocks in my larger Rena thats on my 55g that my father took over for me.

ps. actually got out the tape measure.. pretty much all my neons are exactly an inch, the glowlights, blacks, and rasboras are 1.5in, the pleco is 2.5in.
so i think its not 60-70fish in, but closer to 30-40.

thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode