Ro/di - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ro/di

Are the any advantages/disadvantages to using RO/DI water in a planted aquarium? I have always used RO/DI for my saltwater tank, so I already have the filter. I'm just curious if I should also use this for my planted tank.

Look forward to your comments.

- Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM

I use an RO system. The good water goes to my 150g fish only with live rock and the waste water is used in my 37g heavily planted tank.

Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Make sure you add some minerals back in (i.e. mix with tap water) filling the whole tank with pure water isn't good for your aquarium's inhabitants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinycheek View Post
Make sure you add some minerals back in (i.e. mix with tap water) filling the whole tank with pure water isn't good for your aquarium's inhabitants.
Not necessarily. Many of the nicest scapes I have ever seen were pure RO water. What IS necessary (most of the time) is reconstituting minerals such as Mg and Ca (large amounts not required), which can be done by doing what you mentioned (adding tap), or for those who prefer pure RO water, adding something like Seachem equilibrium or simple salts. As a general rule of thumb, the most optimal conditions are a GH of around 2-4 degrees, and a KH of 0-1 degrees. A low pH will result when injecting CO₂ when KH is that low, but this is not to worry as only greatly swaying pH will affect your inhabitants. A stable, yet very low pH, say around 4, is not much to worry about. When it varies greatly, is when you need to worry about your inhabitants. Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Since the local water supply switches sources often which results in varying KH ranges, I use 100% RO in my tank. I do not reconsitute or buffer it. I only add ferts (NPK, Traces, Iron). I have no erratic pH swings, no Ca/Mg deficiencies, and not one speck of algae. My triple orange Apisto caucatoides is doing great. Heck, I'm growing some of the best plants I've ever grown!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashappar View Post
you're luckier than me. I tried 100% RO without adding GH and after the 5th water change I saw signs of ca/mg deficiency.
I've been reconstituting to approx. GH 4 / leaving KH at zero and its worked very well so far - up to my 14th wc on the first tank to use the regime.

I see a few posts every so often about not reconstituting water at all, and wonder how it works for them long term.
I can't get by with 0 GH. maybe its the plant sp. I keep? the growth rate?

this week I'm upgrading to a larger, better system. goodbye ~5TDS product and hello 0TDS. woohoo!

I think it has to do with the light level. From what I can gather by my own tests and observations, plants can get 'stressed' from too much light. I was trying the 100% RO thing with double the light I have now (2x65w on a 29g), and I was getting problems that resembled Ca & Mg deficiency. I also had algae problems. So I did a little thinking and decided that since deficiencies cause algae, I should slow the catalyst by reducing the light, but make it more efficient & effective. So I ditched my 2x65w Coralife fixture and strung up a single 65w with an AHS reflector suspended 5" above the tank. Since then, all deficiencies have dissappeared, all algae has dissappeared, plants grow a little more slowly, but they are really showing extrodinary growth and health. I've got P. stellata pushing 7" in diameter and still growing.

I'm beginning to suspect that a plants' requirements for Ca & Mg are really very small. I suspect this to be the case because my N & P demands keep increasing, even after a good pruning. I know that plant mass can have an effect on these levels, but when you're keeping fairly stable biomass and still have nutrient demands increase tells you that plants are doing pretty good. The one thing that I like about using RO is that I know exactly where I can begin and end each and every week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode