Did I Get Screwed!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Did I Get Screwed!!!

Ahhhh i got my co2 tank yesterday and got it filled and set up today. I got there and the said they filled it up i get home and put the regulator on have some problems and i lose SOME co2 and when i get everything straightened out the high side psi says around 250 well in the red. Did this place screw me!? If it would have lost that much co2 i should have suffocated right? It is a 5lb tank thats rated up to 3000 psi i believe. Next time i believe i will take it up there get it filled and put the regualtor on right there in the car to see if it is full or not but i will make sure i do it outside the care just incase of complications or whatever. What do you guys think? Screwed or not?

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
A 5lb cylinder should read 900-1000psi full. Did you notice this reading at the time of regulator installation. You may have a bad gauge on your regulator, or the cylinder is empty. Was the cylinder Ice cold when they handed it to you after the fill?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
You can't suffocated unless its direct contact for a quite some time.

next time you should weight your tank. If its empty it should weight less then it would be fill.

So next time you fill it up make sure you weight it before the refill and record the differences after the refill.

A 5lb tank should weight around 15lb with the regulator.

Check your tank right now

One month in.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It was quite cold when they handed it back to me but when ever i put the regulator on it said 250 for the psi thats the only reading i have had the regulator is brand new and doesn't seem to have any leaks the pressure hasn't gone down any since i have been using it. I couldn't really tell it being any heivier though it seemed the same wieght as when i gave it to them.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I would go back to your fill station with the regulator in hand. And see what they say. Your regulator may be at fault or you for sure have an empty 5lb.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how long will that 250 psi last bc i cant get back for two bc of work and going out of town next weekend

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
High pressure reading will only give you an indication of whether or not there is liquid CO2 left in the tank. If there is then the high pressure should be between 750 and 1100 PSI for ambient room temps above 65°. When the tank is first filled, and very cold, the high pressure will be very low. You need to take your reading once the tank has warmed to room temp.

Once the high pressure drops below 750 PSI you know that all the CO2 has been converted to gasous form and you'll see the pressure drop steadily with use. That's the indicator that tells me to get the tank refilled as soon as possible.

As Frozenbarb said, the only real way to tell how much CO2 you have in the tank is by weighing it. The tare weight of the empty tank should be stamped on the tank. Figure on another pound for the regulator.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
When you say some leaked out, how much or for how long. It can empty pretty quick.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrneuzil View Post
When you say some leaked out, how much or for how long. It can empty pretty quick.
Or you still have a leak...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It think for maybe a second and a half that about all!! I dont think i have a leak bc the psi stayed at 250 all last night and this mourning

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Spray some windex around the fittings while the CO2 is on. If there is a leak, you should see small bubbles around the fittings. I say while the CO2 is on because the leak could be after the regulator (I kind of doubt, but you never know).

If you hooked up your regulator and it immediately read 250 psi, I am leaning towards there either being a problem with your regulator or the tank was not filled properly. The suggestion to take the tank with the regulator back to the place where you got it filled is a good one. I would do that so they can possibly help determine where the problem actually lies.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's odd that the tank gets cold when it is filled. I thought gas gets hot (releases heat) when it's compressed. SCUBA tanks get warm when you fill them. Maybe they're just filling it with liquid CO2.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
maybe they keep the CO2 cold so that it is denser?

i doubt they use liquid CO2, they would take a powerful peice of cooling equipment to liquify CO2, and it wouldnt stay liquid that long.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Make sure you open the co2 valve all the way too.

One month in.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
maybe they keep the CO2 cold so that it is denser?

i doubt they use liquid CO2, they would take a powerful peice of cooling equipment to liquify CO2, and it wouldnt stay liquid that long.
It is liquid CO2 and thats why its cold at first.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode