Tank size recommendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank size recommendations

Alrighty... I have been with out an aquarium for 2.5 years and I'm feeling the itch for a new one. My last tank (now gone) was 90 gallon and was a real challenge with plants due to the depth. So I am now looking for something more plant friendly. I like the low tech approach with DIY CO2 or if its small enough, just Excel.

Last night I saw a 40g breeder that might work nicely.
(LxWxH) in inches
36x18x17
My concerns are
1. the bottom is not tempered.
2. is it too shallow? (less viewing area and is it too shallow for good aquascaping)

Looking online the 50g also looks tempting
36x18x19
This one has a tempered bottom and a bit more viewing area (depth/height), but I can't find one locally.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Both 40 nd 50 a perfect tanks for planted setups! Perfect dimensions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Either one would work well for your application. How will the tank be viewed/enjoyed most of the time sitting, standing, up close, etc.? I would suggest giving thought to how tall the stand should be to facilitate the best viewing.

One of the big box pet stores has a periodic $1/gal tank sale or www.craigslist.com is a good place to find used tanks locally.

Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to The Planted Tank!

I would recommend that you purchase the biggest tank that you can. So, if you can find a 50 gallon locally, go with that. I'm not sure that the bottom of you tank being tempered is a problem. Many people look for tanks without a tempered bottom so that they can drill them for pumps or filters. If you are going to build the stand yourself take into account your height for optimal viewing, but be sure that you can reach the bottom for maintenance. That size is definitely not to shallow or deep. Just try 'scaping a 29 gallon .

Good Luck!

Too poor to keep any tanks up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I really love my 90gal, and the 18" width is really nice for scaping b/c you just have so much more room! If you liked that footprint but just not the height, you could always go with a 75gal instead of 90gal- 18" tall versus 24"

Of course- if you try T5HO lighting, you may change your mind about tank depth being an issue, too

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
you can get a 48 inch tank in various gallon ratings i personally prefer larger tanks over smaller(much easier to keep water conditions stable) i think a 125 gallon 48 long tank would be AWESOME for a planted tank, Lots of room for aquascaping can easily be lit by a Nova extreme 48 inch 4x54 watt fixture OR the 6x54 watt fixture. Your will just have to change bulbs (most of the 4x54 and 6x54 come with Salt water bulbs) just my 2 cents
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, thanks for the input everyone. I realized the other night that the 75 gallon tank has good dimensions compared to my old 90... I sure wish I had kept my solid wood stand and hood now. It would have been the cheapest way back into an aquarium. pooey. Oh well... the stupid things we do when moving cross-country right?

I want a smaller size because in my current house I don't have a place to hook up a python, so I believe I will have to haul water in 5 gallon buckets. I checked many local pet stores today and could not find a single 50. 29s, 55s and bow front galore!! So... I'm thinking 40 breeder will have to do it. As long as I stay away from monster tall plants it should be ok.

So, I'm sure I will post more later.

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode