Pic inside plants are dying - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pic inside plants are dying

In the image below on the left you can see that the plant is eating away and is slowly dying, it is much worse at the moment then the picture tells. The plant on the right is also blackening around the edges and is slowly just rotting, this cant be seen in the image. So my qeustion how can i solve this, at the moment i have no co2 and i have a 9 watt tube over the 5 gallon. The tank has been running for 2 months now. Is it possibly beacuse the plants dont have any supplements or co2 or is it something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
is there anything around the base of the plants? i.e a rubber band, lead, twisty tie. that will constrict the stems and cause them to rot.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
My guess would be nutrient deficiency, I would begin a fert program also black around the edges would seem to indicate the beginning of an algae outbreak.... BBA perhaps. lack of consistent levels of C02 and nutrient uptake would be my geuss... usually takes a couple of months for plants to begin to starve themselves of their reserves before they begin to show signs... also algae is a wonderful opportunist give it an inconsistent environment and the plants won't be able to compete with it....algae adapts faster then other plant species

Troy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

chris127 no i removed them when i purchased them

susantroy1 what would you recommend me to purchase to solve this issue
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

you say you don't use Co2 so I would suggest lowering your light wattage. maybe cut back on photo period as well...
I would begin dosing with flourish excel normal dosage for carbon source.
This small of a tank you could get by with liquid ferts maybe from the flourish line your macro/micros as well... I'm not partial to Seachems however they do get good reviews. and excel DOES work on most types of algae. You wont break the bank so to speak...any bigger and I would go dry ferts just because of the cost issue involved. Whats H20 changes like?? frequency ect...,?

Troy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

i change 50% every week

ok so i should look flourish excel on my next purchase, what liqueid ferts would you recommend for micro/macro
sry i am relatively clueless with dosings and such
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Planted Member

check this site out you should be able to get what you need at a ddecent LFS http://www.seachem.com/products/planted.html

Troy

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I think I'd first see what the excel does. That may be your only problem. Your water changes help with adding nutrients (usually).

You'll be surprised what a difference CO2 (excel form, as well) will do for your plants.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks ill keep a look out next time im in the store for the product
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

I would agree if your substrate is something other that regular gravel but by the looks of it... its inert... Excel is a good carbon source, however that will not satisfy the plants nutritional needs, H20 normally meets the CA/ Mag requirements but thats about it.

Troy

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I doubt you have too much light, but there's a good chance you have too little. When you say a 9 watt tube- is that an incandescent tube (like a regular lightbulb, just elongated) or a fluorescent tube?

I suspect you need to increase your lighting, and also start dosing ferts and Excel.

It's common for crypts (the plant on the left) to melt and regrow when moved, and the stem on the right (wisteria?) may do better floating, up closer to the light, until you can get some more light on the tank.

Some ppl have good success with desk lamps- you might take a look through the nano forum to see what other ppl are using.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
The plant on the left looks to be an emmersed grown plant. If that is the case, then you will see the old leaves die and new, different looking leaves take their place. How long have you had it?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I think he plant on the left looks like crypt lucens. And the one on the right may be wisteria.

It's the wisteria and the description given for how it's dying is what made me think of CO2. His description is identical to what I see with my wisteria when it's not getting CO2. I don't add ferts to that tank. It's the CO2 alone that determines when my wisteria grows lush or turns black and then melts away. I'm thinking of going pressurized on that tank because of it.

That's not to say ferts aren't needed. But I think the greatest need is CO2 right now.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the infomration

btw im notusing substrate its just regular black gravel

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode