New bulbs? Or something else? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
New bulbs? Or something else?

I have had my current setup going since October. AH Supply 2x55 & 1x90 over a 55 gal bowfront.

When should I be switching out my bulbs for new? I am noticing that only the easiest plants in my tank are growing right now. The rest seem to be dying off.

I was thinking maybe this is due to the light bulbs not throwing off as much light as they did at first.

What do you guys think? The low-light plants are growing like weeds and look lush and healthy. Everything else looks awful - my banana plant is making tiny leaves, my HC is all but gone - I had a large patch going but it all seems to have disappeared, my cabomba died off, I can't get my ludwigia going again, my watersprite croaked... What gives?

CO2 is still the same, lighting schedule still the same. I cut back on ferts by a lot since I was trimming every day, could that be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Power compacts are usually reccomended to be swapped out once a year. Opinions may vary, but myself and some of my close friends have all concluded that the results of a swap out in about a year are outstanding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think the fertilizer cut back is impacting your situation a bit. Bring it back up a little and see what happens.

I consider myself one of gmccreedy's close friends ( ), and I swap my PC bulbs out every year to year and a half. I know that many people subscribe to the "run them till they burn out" line of thinking, and that is fine. However I feel that there is some level of degradation in PC bulbs over that year/year and a half timespan. I have noticed a slow down in plant growth over that time frame. I have also noticed a marked increase in plant growth and appearance for several months after doing a PC bulb swap.

Scientific? Probably not. However, the empirical evidence is good enough for me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
LOL, yea Mike you were one of my guinea pigs on the whole light idea .

Back on topic. Any reason why you cut back on ferts?? Swapping the bulbs out may increase the demand for additional fertilization since the lighting conditions will increase (whether slightly or not).

Cabomba, Ludwigia, watersprite, these are all very undemanding plants that usually can grow under almost any water condition whether lean or rich. I would evaluate your CO2 levels too.

Do one thing at a time though!!!! If I can make a suggestion, try uping your ferts first and see if there is a noticable change. Then try the bulb swap out or CO2 increase.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post

Cabomba, Ludwigia, watersprite, these are all very undemanding plants that usually can grow under almost any water condition whether lean or rich. I would evaluate your CO2 levels too.
Good luck.
Yeah, I know... which is why I was so befuddled! The watersprite started to turn brown and get crunchy..... had to be pulled from the tank, but only a couple of months ago was growing out of control. The ludwigia slowly died off, but I used to have to trim it every day. Same thing with the cabomba. Only a few weeks ago I had five thick healthy stems of it that were growing nicely, then they just withered away. I haven't changed anything in my fert regimen in two or three months.

CO2 always stays the same, it's automated and I check the bubble counter & DC every day.

Very odd, right?? The ones that are still doing well look great and are growing like crazy - I just had to pull out a ton of moneywart, anacharis, and rotala indica; and my crypts are out of control. They almost touch the top of the water in my 24" high tank.

I guess I'll up my ferts and see if that helps. I'm going to get ahold of some new plants too. My tank is starting to look icky and boring.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode