Can fish get stuck in plants and die? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
Can fish get stuck in plants and die?

I found 4 dead fish in the past 5 days...they all seem to get stuck in between the stems of the plants and/or plants and rocks...is it normal? or it just happened to get stuck there after they died...

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No, fish just have a way of trying to "bury" themselves before they die. I can't really explain it, I've just always known all my fish to do this, throughout my entire life. Not always of course, but a lot of the time. It's like they know they are dying and try to do it alone, out of the way or something. Ever since I started doing planted tanks, I've noticed they seem to like dying deep in an exposed root mass.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Usually they die then get pushed there by the current or they are sick and hide there till they die. I have seen my fish get stuck in the plants and they always get out. Even the really fat puffers. They might freak out for a second but they get out. I doubt the plants are killing them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
No, fish just have a way of trying to "bury" themselves before they die. I can't really explain it, I've just always known all my fish to do this, throughout my entire life. Not always of course, but a lot of the time. It's like they know they are dying and try to do it alone, out of the way or something. Ever since I started doing planted tanks, I've noticed they seem to like dying deep in an exposed root mass.

that just makes me sad (my cats did that too )

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
no they can't
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
my fish were doing that.. hiding out until they died.. happened when I had that parasite or bacterial issue with all of my fish last month. sad

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Algae Grower

I too have noticed in the past that quite often before a fish dies it goes into hiding. I've noticed this on more than one occassion and I found it strange.

Last night I saw my clown loach go into hiding in this small cave that I have in the tank. This morning he was out and swimming around, but I notice he's pale in color. When I saw him go into hiding, I was sure he would die. So far though, he's still with me.

I have to agree that they have a sense of when they're going to die and perhaps they want to die alone. Yes, it's very sad!

Art
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Perhaps it is a biological response; it would'nt be good for the fish's progeny to have a hunk of "bait" (body of the dead fish) hanging around to attract predators. ... just a thought ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM

I bought 6 rosy barbs at the weekend (Saturday). My water quality was at 97% optimum, pretty much the best it has ever been. The fish were fine, very active. But yesterday, when I did my usual head count, could only count 5 of them. Kept looking and looking from all sides of the tank. Was only when I looked down from the top that I spotted one tucked in under some leaves. No marks on its body, just dead. But I always expect to lose a few when new fish are added. So although upsetting was kind of expected. This morning, did a head count, and only counted 4. Then spotted a fish in exactly the same spot as the dead fish was yesterday. This one was also dead. Again no marks on body to suggest external body issues. I then noticed that my water spray bar was pointing down and was causing a strong force of water towards the plant. I did wonder if the fish were getting stuck somehow due to the force of water and somehow dieing. But have read earlier comments here about fish tucking themselves away if they know they are going to die So maybe that was the case, but seemed an odd coincidence. I have now redirected the water to its more usual direction, and will hope that I don't lose any more of my new fish for whatever the reason.

Very sad though

PS During the afternoon, I lost another fish, so that's 3 out of my 6 new fish. I even did a quick water check for ammonia yesterday incase the increase amount of food I was putting in to feed more fish had caused a spike in ammonia, but was still at 0.

Last edited by Kathyjuk; 01-25-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Additional info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode