Co2 kit question and need opinions on new HUGE anubias! New Question 6/21! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Co2 kit question and need opinions on new HUGE anubias! New Question 6/21!

So for the past 4 months my tank has been happily bubbling away with the Hagan Plant Gro Co2 system...until today...The smell of the fermentation was literally seeping through the tubing and had my whole house smelling like death...so that was the end of that. The tank itself is only a 12g...would the one of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...Type=0&offset=
Be overkill?

What about one of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv...478&scId=18478?

While I was browsing those, I saw that my LFS was having an anubias sale and picked up a little coffeefolia and what I feel is a monsterous Anubias (the rhizome is over a foot long!) I would love to hear some opinions on the placement of this guy!

And here's my new Amano Shrimp just for fun.

Thanks!

Last edited by TubaTime1010; 06-21-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
there really is not such thing as over kill when it comes to pressurized. the Red Sea unit if for a paint ball CO2 tanks so you should take that into account. the other unit i have no idea about. the cartridge i feel though would get expensive over the long run and would not last as long as a larger tank

if you want to go pressurized i'd say check out these guys for equipment and regulators, there all on this forum here at some point.

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/ (not just CO2 stuff an you can find basically every thing you need for pressurized CO2)

http://www.rexgrigg.com/ (he has good advice and makes a good regulator to boot)

http://sumoregulator.com/ (these are the guys i got my regulator from and man are thay good, it helps that i've met them both at NJAGC meetings, if you want to see my regulator just check out the link in my sig for my tanks)

Bloody huge anubias!!!

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That anubias is gigantic!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!

I personally recommend Green Leaf Aquariums- I JUST bought one from them an hour or two ago- their customer service and reply times were amazing!! And the price on their Milwaukee regulator was very decent I think.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd probably cut the large one in 2, leaving one side bigger than the other. This would give you more arrangement options. I'd probably place 2 anubias on one side and one on the other for an asymmetrical look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'd probably cut the large one in 2, leaving one side bigger than the other. This would give you more arrangement options. I'd probably place 2 anubias on one side and one on the other for an asymmetrical look.
Exactly what I was thinking.

210 g - Empty right now
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
If I cut the big guy into 3 and one portion is just rhizome, will the rhizome grow leaves and whatnot? and with that rhizome only piece, what's the smallest I could cut it up into multiple pieces? It's about 6 inches of leafless rhizome.

Also would I be OK getting that Red Sea paintball cyl CO2 kit for a 12g and a 5g?

:-)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Planted Member

if you want the leaves to sprout from a leafless rhizome I'd suggest leaving it as big as possible- this will make it easier and faster for the rhizome to create new leaves. It will happen- but it takes time. Anubias is a leaf feeder, so without any it will be a long time before it gathers the energy to send up a new one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Planted Member

oh- and for the paintball kit, I think it bight be an overkill of money for such a small tank- but that is your choice. I would, however, suggest doign a little DIY and making an adapter to your paintball tank to a good quality standard CO2 regulator. I am doing this myself and here is the link I used to go off of, and also the list of parts you will need (the adapter will cost all of $10).

Logan's Daddy's 34 gallon tank

Parts list:
>Fill station ASA (if you have an old remote kicking around, take the part that screws onto your tank and remove the hose- that is the exact part needed, and it is what I did)
>1/8" pipe nipple (from hardware store)
>1/4" Male to 1/8" female pipe bushing (from the hardware store)
>teflon tape

It is really really easy to do- all you have to do is remove the cga 320 adapter that comes on the regulator and the screw in your adapter. See the thread linked to for assembly, or feel free to PM me about it. I do no have it on my regulator yet as it is not in my possession yet, but I have my adapter made with pictures taken of the assembly process.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have a paintball pressurized system on a 29 and I use 24oz canisters. I love it. They last about 6 weeks for me, they would easily last twice that long for you and even longer if you turn it off at night.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode