The process of the Quarantine tank. What is yours? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The process of the Quarantine tank. What is yours?

I am about to be getting some long-finned white clouds A.K.A Meteor Minnows. My buddy who is a the inventory manager at a LFS is grabbing 7 of them for me @ $5 a pop but ordered 25 in total. I am gong to pick them up straight from them being delivered to his store so I can get the cream of the crop.

My quarantine has been set up for months and has been housing the olive nerite runts I didnt want to sell. What I want to achieve in the quarantine process is several things. 1) An environment for the white clouds that will make them the most relaxed to reduce stress and 2) an environment where I can combat issues that might arise.

I currently am running an aquaclear 30 on the 10g for maximum filtration and flow. There is no air stone but I am not aware that one is important or not in a quarantine tank, is it? I keep my temp at 78. Now 78 might be to high for the white clouds, maybe I should lower it to 70 and raise it if need be. I am thinking of adding a little salt to boost the electrolites but I dont want to hit them with a much different water conditions then they are used to.

What would your QT process be if you were in my shoes?

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Same kind of thing. 10g tank with extra filtration and high temp. Feed twice a day and add a little salt if need be. The high temp helps them get over anything they have faster or bring out anything you might not see right away like ick and with the combined twice a day feedings they tend to put on a nice amount of weight. If you want to be extra sure they are parasite free do a round of treatment I use maracide concentrate.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
78 is to high for WCMM...turn it to 70 unless they have ick.

they are really hardy salt will be pointless unless they are sick

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The best way to QT new fish (IMO) is to keep them in a similar environment to where you will be keeping them full time in the future. I have a heavily planted 20g tank I use for Qt purposes. I run the same CO2, ferts, lighting, etc. that I do in my main tanks. Once I decide to move them (often times many months later when I get new fish) I know they are well acclimated to the conditons they are moving to.

Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You want to start them in an environment as close as possible to where they're being kept NOW at the LFS, temperature, pH, hardness.

I QT new fish for a minimum of 2 weeks. In the 2nd week if all the fish still seem healthy and good to go, I start doing PWC every few days and replacing the water in the QT tank with water from their destination tank. By the time the fish are transferred to their new tank, the QT tank should be compromised almost exclusively of water from the new tank- which means no additional acclimation other than matching temps is necessary.

I almost always QT new fish in a low salt dosage, about 1/2 tsp per gallon (or sometimes less if they're scaleless fish and seem healthy throughout).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
well I just picked up my LF White Clouds. They look STUNNING. I paid more then I wanted to, $6.50 a piece. I picked up 6 for now and I think in a few days I will grab a few more. They acclimated fine and ate some golden pearls real fast. I think they are going to look awsome.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
good luck with the fish

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode