Petco clearance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco clearance

Didn't post this in the local LFS forums because it might not be local and it's not really a LFS.

I stopped by Petco yesterday and they are having a huge clearance of about 50% off on most of their cooler fish like rainbows and less common tetras and mollies. They are having the 10 for $10 sale on neons and assorted tetras too. Driftwood and plants are also on sale.

The clerk said if they are on clearance, that usually means they won't be restocked because people just go in looking for bettas and goldfish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Oh sweet, i hope that my petco has a clearance and they have Tiger Barbs on the 10 for 10 ;o Florida is pretty close to Texas :3
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yeah most petcos are cutting back on their live animal stock. Fish, reptiles, birds, everything. I would keep an eye on any petco that hasn't had a sale like this because they should soon.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
good. they should be used only for dry goods and supplies. their care of fish is atrocious, and their reptile care is even worse. 5 hatchling leopard geckos on SAND with and empty water bowl and a bunch of loose adult crickets, no calcium dish either.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
good. they should be used only for dry goods and supplies. their care of fish is atrocious, and their reptile care is even worse. 5 hatchling leopard geckos on SAND with and empty water bowl and a bunch of loose adult crickets, no calcium dish either.
Have you been to every Petco? Not sure how you can make such a broad statement like that unless you have. The one here is excellent with their animals.....to include fish. They even have lush live plants. Something even some of the specialty LFS's don't have.

I would be more specific before making broad statements like that. Its just not cool.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now that you say that Plakat, that does remind me. Last time i was there, they were moving everything around and cleaning stuff up. Most all the sw fish were gone and the goldfish section on the place had been covered up. I know they didn't have the clearance then although they were probably preparing for it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I won't get anything from them even with a sale. They have the worse water quality and don't care about anything. I not sure if everywhere like that but at lease in NYC.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
here is So. Cal is 5 for $5 on community fish

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad View Post
Have you been to every Petco? Not sure how you can make such a broad statement like that unless you have. The one here is excellent with their animals.....to include fish. They even have lush live plants. Something even some of the specialty LFS's don't have.

I would be more specific before making broad statements like that. Its just not cool.
that petco is a rarity. on the reptile forum i go to i hear complete horror stories, and witnessed them in all 3 petcos nearby. the fish have it off bad too. if i ever buy them, i buy the bettas when the just got there, a week later they are dead if nobody got them. not every petco is bad, but a good amount of them are.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
that petco is a rarity. on the reptile forum i go to i hear complete horror stories, and witnessed them in all 3 petcos nearby. the fish have it off bad too. if i ever buy them, i buy the bettas when the just got there, a week later they are dead if nobody got them. not every petco is bad, but a good amount of them are.
Just remember just because someone says something or you read something somewhere doesn't make it true. Everyone likes to blame the big guys. I even have good experiences with Walmart fish. Have some Wally fish in my pond that are over 7 years old and have reproduced several times.

I have seen a few mega pet marts that are pretty lame but in all honesty most are pretty good. And your standards may not reflect what the rest of the world or the USA thinks is good or bad.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
uh oh i have seen this one before. The old LFS Vs Big chain Store. Ill say this, In the chain Stores i have been in and this is PERSONAL EXPERIENCE not fact across the board, Most chain stores don't care as much about the quality as they care about Volume of sales. and in some cases its not even the Chain store at my wal mart the employees are always complaining about the quality of fish they get from their SUPPLIER. and here is where corporate America comes into play, Buy it as cheap as you can and sell it as high as you can. That being said My LFS usually has higher Quality fish but they do cost more they reason they use better suppliers that cost more. BUT i have Tiger Barbs from Wal Mart that have been alive for 1.5 years and are getting HUGE! i agree Most pet chains should Stick to dry Goods but it really depends on the employees if they care then chances are they do everything they can to provide the best care possible, The closest Pet Co to me is one that i would rank in the top 10 stores to shop for pets, they have Really good EMPLOYEES that have even bought treatments out of their money cause the chain said let the fish die and replace. So my advice Look around, look at the store, the tanks and make your decision's on what you see, if they look neglected shop elsewhere.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I suspect we've both been to the one in Totowa by Guitar Center. I wouldn't
put a fish from there in my tank for free. And I'm surprised PETA doesn't picket the saltwater "section".

Quote:
And your standards may not reflect what the rest of the world or the USA thinks is good or bad.
I know for a fact that mine don't. Witness the popularity of professional wrestling, Britney Spears, and reality TV.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I went and there was no clearance

Although half the reptile section was down.

They also threw away/sold all their plants... All that is left is a few swords. I loved the plant selection they had there, it was very healthy and way better than Petsmart.

Does anyone else notice that Petco is now selling younger bettas that are "half moon" and "delta tailed" ? I think thats pretty neat.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:44 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilvey View Post
I suspect we've both been to the one in Totowa by Guitar Center. I wouldn't
put a fish from there in my tank for free. And I'm surprised PETA doesn't picket the saltwater "section".

I know for a fact that mine don't. Witness the popularity of professional wrestling, Britney Spears, and reality TV.
See the Petco closest to me has at least one employee that is a member of a fish club im in so the tanks tend to be "better taken care of" but i agree you get a bunch of NON FISH keeping people or Kids that just don't care working their and the quality of care drops off big time!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I went to the Petco near my house today. The tanks look good and the fish appeared to be in good shape so I picked up 15 black neons for $15.

Today's fish from Petco are in their own tank for now. They will probably stay there until my 75 gal is done cycling which will give me plenty of time to observe them and make sure they are not carrying some diseases.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode