Cloudy tank AM Clear tank PM - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cloudy tank AM Clear tank PM

I have a 75 Gallon Planted aquarium that has been going great for about 6 months. I am running DIY CO2 and Supllementing with the following
Seachem Flourish 40 drops per day
Seachem Flourish Excel 1 Cap per day
Birghtwell Flourin-K 24 drops per day
I have 4 54 watt T-5's on for 12 hours perday.
I am performing more than 20% water changes weekly.
It was running clear until about a month ago and it started to cloud up with a green tint looking like a Algae bloom. I did a large 40% when I first noticed the cloudiness and this helped it clear for Bit but In the mornings its very cloudy and in the evening about the time the lights shut off it is pretty clear maybe a bit cloudy. I did some searching on the web and here an couldn't find anything exactly like this (Maybe I'm not good at searching) Any help would be appreciated. Oh I started adding the Florin-K about 2 months ago and I started the DIY CO2 about 3 months ago below is an inventory of plants an fish.

4 White cloud Minnows
2 Cory Cats
2 Black Mollys
2 Siamese Algae eaters
2 Flying foxes
5 Ottos
1 small black ghost knife
A few Ghost shrimp
and some Malaysian trumpet snails

Plants.

3 Aponogeton vanbruggenii At least that is the best I can figure out grew from bulbs and they look great Nice reddish color.
1 Green aponogeton that has produced Numerous offspring at least 15 that are all small and scattered through the tank.
A small forest of Wysteria.
A couple clumps of Red Ludwigia
Some Jungle Val ( Believe I bought some Corkscrew val and had a clump of this that has grown into a large clump.)
Cork screw val
Amazon compacta with two baby plants
A large Crinum Not wavy and a small one from a bulb.
A medium Crinum the wavy kind looks pretty kewl I might add.
Some microsword thats been in for about 4 months and is just now starting to do something.
A small bocapa or something that I started from a tiny twig I got with some other plants.
A small java fern attached to some drift wood and one of its babys.

Any recommendations? Please help I'm all ears and ready to learn. this is my First planted aquarium and I am enjoying except for the cloudiness. Does an algae bloom do like this?

Thanks For any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would try lowering your lights a half hour a day till your photo period is about 9 hours a day. and do 20% water changes every other day. once the GW is gone you can slowly increase the time of you lights and go back to your normal water changes. I had the same problem when I had my lights on for 12 hours. I currently run them for 10 hours and my problem was fixed. I also increased my Diy co2 by adding another bottle. You might also want to bump up you co2 to get about 25 ppm to help your plants compete with the GW. Hope this helps. oh and about the main question about clearing up at night. Maybe the algae is on the verge of going away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode