ALGEA - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is a lot of algea growing on the left side of the tank on the peice of wood. Its like a white/transparent film-ish sack type around the whole bottom piece of the wood. I dont know how it got there. Here are the specs for the tank:

10gal tank
2 whisper 10's
100 watt heater @ 78
36watt compact lighting
ph: 7.5
nitrate: 10
nitrite: 0
hardness: between 0-3 (I used a quick dip)

I think it might be the lighting periods. Im always out of the house so its hard for me to be strict on lighting. Its usually on between 10am-11pm (13hrs). I need to get a timer to set it @ about 8 hrs a day. I think this might be the problem but maybe not. I dont even know what type of algea it is. If it even IS algea! Its kinda of hard to tell in these photos but there is a white sackish algea lookin substance all over the wood on the left and some here and there

inhabitants are 6 phantom tetras and 2 neon tetras

please let me know what to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
I dont see any photo. How long has this tank been setup? How long have you had the wood? Based on what you've said, the only thing I'm guessing is the wood is kinda new and molding(fungus) on the wood which I have seen in some other cases. Algae is usually either brown to green. White algae usually means dead algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

oh im sorry, heres the link

http://e17jo1.4t.com/index.html

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:07 AM

Yeah, as Ming said, I don't think it's algae. Just wipe it with your hand. They usually appear on newly placed driftwood.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
It appears to be a fungus. It will go away with time.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

ok its been a couple days and the algea is getting worse. Its all over the plants now and the "fungus" is still on the wood and it doesnt look like a sack anymore...it now looks like little plants/mushroom-ish things growing all over it. The fish are fine, no spots or abnormal behavior yet. I even reduced the amount of hours I have the light on from about 13-8 hours a day. The water still remains cloudy and I plan to do a 80% water change this sometime this week but I think its not going to do anything because I did put brand new water when I changed the tank. The water was r/o water with steady and safe levels. "What do I do" (Pulls hair out and runs around frantically)
Btw, The wood that the algea/fungus is growing on is one of those drift woods for reptiles that I bought. I rinsed it out a couple times until the dirt was all off. I dont know if this effects it much but just thought to give some info. I do a daily dose of Amquel Plus to get rid of some junk in the tank. Please let me know what to do!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Ok, first off, there's NO REASON to do a daily dose of AmQuel Plus...no wonder your water's cloudy.

Second, the stuff on your driftwood is a harmless fungal or bacterial growth. Just wipe it off. Some fish will eat it, but most won't.
If it really bothers you, remove it and boil the wood for an hour in a large pot...let it cool down and put it right back into the tank. that should stop any fungal spores.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Just curious...how does Amquel Plus make the water cloudy? And also, on most of my plants, little patches of algea or on them...how would I get rid of that?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:24 PM

If the nutrient levels are in balance, the algae on plants will fade, though typically there's always algae somewhere. I let it grow on my driftwood, so my algae eaters will never starve.

The addition of any unneccessary chemical could contribute to bacterial blooms, or in certain special cases, cause minerals to precipitate out of the water, thus causing cloudiness.

Why do you find it necessary to add Amquel Plus every day? I went to the official product page: http://www.novalek.com/korgd28.htm and read the description. If you're dosing daily because of this statement, "AmQuel Plus lessens the need for water changes." I want you to know that's false info...pure marketing hype to make you buy their product and use it quickly, so you buy more of their product.

NO ADDITIVE CAN REPLACE WATER CHANGES
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I actually didnt do it daily. Maybe like every two days I would add a half tspoon but thats it. I only did that for a week. Im never really home and constantly in a hurry so whenever I see that in the morning after feeding time, I always feel like theres something that could be done so thats when I add the amquel plus. Its just me not thinking right and thinkin maybe amquel might do something about it. I however love water changes because I do think that is very important as well and that nothing can replace a water change. Anything else you care to enlighten me about? You know a lot more than I do and your info would really help me! Thanks a lot by the way!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:48 PM

Ok, half teaspoon every other day probably isn't causing the water to bloom, and I do apologize if I got too...'aggressive'...but as you hang out here more, you'll see a lot of novice who are either given bad advice, or get duped into believing in some 'miracle product'...which does more harm than good.
Good example - algae destroyers....most of these do kill the algae, but contain ingredients that'll spawn another algae bloom in a short time. Another good one is 'perfect pH' and other pH adjusters. Most of us don't keep fish delicate enough to worry about a specific pH to maintain...and those that do use more reliable/natural methods to correct pH issues (like R/O water, peat, crushed coral, calcium carbonate...etc)

The white stuff on the log shouldn't be a problem, but if you follow my boiling instructions, it might keep it from coming back.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Heres what im thinking to get rid of the algea:
shake up all the plants because all the plants have algea on them. I tried to shake up some of them this morning but its landed right back on the pedals. So im going to shake it up and keep doing water changes until the water is much clearer without algea. What else should i do?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:01 AM

Hi ej,
Your tank is still new and most new tank will encounter algae. Did you say you use RO water? Is it mixed or pure RO?
Any CO2?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

pure r/o water and im using a hagen natural plant co2 system
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:29 PM

I hope you are adding one of those R/O additives then. Pure R/O water is bad for fish and plants...it has no electrolytes so plants will die, and fish lose their slime coat, stressing them out and opening them to disease.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode