Palm fronds in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Palm fronds in tank?

I've been thinking, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use palm fronds as tank "leaf litter" or other aquascaping uses. I'm thinking an indoor house plant sized palm would work great to scale in a south american themed biotope tank. Are they toxic or somehtin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sometimes it takes a while for people to run across a thread. Also, I imagine a lot of people aren't going to post unless they have experience or have heard of someone else doing it. A whole bunch of "dunno" posts isn't terribly helpful.

So, that said, I've not tried it, or really heard about it. If you do decide to do it, I'd suggest starting with fronds that have been naturally shed, and preferably weathered. I know deciduous trees reabsorb a lot of components in their leaves before shedding them, but I don't know if palms do this or not.

However, if you get a well-weathered leaf, I would imagine it would be little more then dead/inert cellulose and such, which shouldn't be harmful. Although, there really isn't anyway to be certain without trying...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I might give it a try. Like I said, I'd probably buy an indoor houseplant palm and take a full frond or two off of it, and let it sit outside for a week or two until it's completely dried out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Most kinds of palm won't contain anything very toxic, but the leaves will probably start to rot and fall apart pretty quick underwater.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
They are rather thin leaves, and they won't hurt your fish at all. I used some banana leaves and a houseplant palms old brown leaves to jazz up a blackwater setup I had running a few years ago. I used rhododendron twigs and branches and all seemed great. My Dicrosus filamentosa pair loved it in that tank, and bred several times for me

Hope that helps
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the rhodedendrun twig idea!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode