Marble tile affect ph? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Marble tile affect ph?

I'm looking to mount some mopani wood on an unpolished marble tile ( I have some leftover from a backsplash). I'm checked around and still can't find an answer.

Will the marble affect any water parameters? Ph etc?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

a simple way to test the marble is pour a little vinegar on it and wait to see if there is a reaction. if it fizzes up the marble will affect your ph. im pretty sure that it wont though. as far as i know marble is a inert stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I know that people sometimes do bare bottom tanks where instead of glass its tile, so there is tile that works. Just do what the above poster mentioned and you should be alright.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks... I think I'm good.. I went ahead and attached it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The vinegar test is pretty unreliable, and often gives false-negatives.

If it's actually marble (not ceramic with a marble pattern, granite, or something else), it will affect the pH. Maybe not quite as bad under the substrate, but marble is pretty much entirely carbonate. This dissolves into the water and raises your KH (maybe GH as well), and the carbonates react with any acids, and end up raising the pH of the water.

Slate is pretty reliable, people have used it for years, it's a silicate rock, so it won't affect water parameters, and it's relatively easy to drill (I've done it once with a regular high speed bit (that I never used again...))
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
The vinegar test is pretty unreliable, and often gives false-negatives.

If it's actually marble (not ceramic with a marble pattern, granite, or something else), it will affect the pH. Maybe not quite as bad under the substrate, but marble is pretty much entirely carbonate. This dissolves into the water and raises your KH (maybe GH as well), and the carbonates react with any acids, and end up raising the pH of the water.

Slate is pretty reliable, people have used it for years, it's a silicate rock, so it won't affect water parameters, and it's relatively easy to drill (I've done it once with a regular high speed bit (that I never used again...))
+1
This is all correct.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's real emperador marble. There is a lot of conflicting advice out there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Which is why we have country boy testing

Add water in container...test ph

Add marble to water in container....test ph
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol good idear
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

MeCasa's method is the best!
Works for all sorts of things!

Marble is indeed a very hard form of calcium and magnesium carbonates, with minor impurities that give it different colors and 'marbling'.
The impurities usually are nothing to worry about, but the calcium carbonate can raise both the GH (Calcium and Magnesium) and KH (Carbonate). Marble dissolves slower than most other related rock, but it does dissolve.

Look at the problems big cities are having with their historic statuary just from the rain! Columns, heros on horseback and all sorts of things carved out of marble, and left out in the weather are dissolving. Acid rain is the worst! But even ordinary rain can pick up some CO2 as it falls, and become acid rain. Not as bad as downwind from a factory, but plenty to dissolve limestone, marble and related minerals.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the question is.... Will it affect it negatively. If I have a co2 system and I'm using liquid fert, will the marble under the fluval substrate leech enough to cause negative effects, or will the plants use the minerals?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Plants use Can and Mg but only in tiny amounts. The answer you are looking for - will it harm your plants or fish - is not something we can answer without detailed information on the plants and fish you want to keep. Some plants and fish species do not tolerate high GH conditions at all, others can. The only certainty is that it will slowly over time raise the kh and GH and CO2 will dissolve it faster.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 AM
Banned

This is disingenuous at best. The amount of minerals that will leach out of marble are minute especially when taken over time. Yet reading the above post leaves an impression that eventually the aquarium will be unfit for plants and/or livestock and it's only a matter of when.

No disrespect intended but that's ludicrous
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Actually all we are really saying is that the limestone family of rocks is made of materials that dissolve in water, especially acidic water.

How much that will affect any one person's tank, and if that is a problem is not an answer we can give.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Banned

This is a picture of porous Limestone at a magnitude that exceeds non porous marble by a high double if not triple digit margin. This rock raised the ph of my water by .02 and if that's not enough that 'head' is porous coral and this picture is only half the tank. The other half has more limestone and more coral.

My point is that yes this family of rocks will affect water conditions and no two conditions will be the same, but anything and everything I've ever read (backed by personal; experience) tell me the effect is extremely minimal and some posts could overstate the problem causing people to become overly alarmist.

Marble is non porous, those statures did deteriorate but it took a 100 years. Statues were made from marble because the stone is both beautiful and dense, it does not deteriorate quickly.

I'll bet $10 CAD that if you take the test I suggested you will see no change in ph. Easy bet, $10CAD is only $2US...jus kiddin

Diana is right when she says there are no guarantees. (she's a smart girl and her advice is always rock solid)

But I believe the odds say your safe by a wide margin

Take care

I'm outa here ;'-)

Last edited by MeCasa; 06-29-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode