Cleaning a used tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaning a used tank

I just bought a used aquarium. What is the best way to clean the grime off the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
vinegar and water plus a razor blade, spray the areas and give it a few minutes to soak, carefully use the blade to scrape it all off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I read that this method can take ages depending on the amount of build up. I was thinking something a little more drastic like CLR but I'm afraid of it affecting the silicon.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

all depends on your mixture, 75% vinegar to 25% water will clean it up pretty quickly. I wouldn't put clr in my tank, even if I was going to clean it well afterwards. Spraying and soaking several times will loosen up the gunk, even to the point a papertowel or news paper will clean it right off.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will give vinegar a try.
How well is bleach in tackling this?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Algae Grower

Vinegar, water, sponge and razor blade. Takes no time at all.

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

I've never used bleach for this, I make a slurry out of vinegar and table salt and scrub it with a sponge. The salt just acts as an abrasive to speed up the process.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my 46 bowfront was completely green. Huge amounts of hair algae all over the tank and it worked itself into the silicone as well. I just filled the tank with hot water and some vinegar and put a power head in the water (that was pretty gunked up too) and let it swirl and kept refilling with hot/warm water and did water changes to get the stuff that came off on it's own (almost 60%!) and used a razor on the flat sides and a magic eraser on the bow (thought the front was acrylic) and when everything was all cleaned up my hubby and I redid the silicone. When everything was set I refilled the tank with hot water again a couple days later and added 1tbsp bleach to 46 gallons of water and used the power head to swirl the water for 1 day then emptied and refilled with water and prime for 2 days. No bleach smell from water. Then used hot water to sink my driftwood in tank and then I set it up. Took 2 weeks but hey, we were thorough!

The tank/eheim filter/lid/stand and t5ho were free! I think my tank used to be salt water then fresh water and they left the tank light on 24/7.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

Just use Vinegar and brush for like bathrooms, you can see what happened after my hour go through with it: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...530&highlight=

I used White Vinegar only, no razor blade or anything such as that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hose and a razor blade works for me. Got this 72 gal bowfront pretty much 100% clean in about 10 minutes.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am never buying a used tank again. The effort to clean the dam thing isn't worth the few bucks.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Its the end result that gives you the payoff. We've all been there.

Fill a Rubbermaid up with water and dump a gallon of vinegar in it. Let the tank soak for a few days.

I keep my Rubbermaid as an emergency qt tank. Great to have. Store stuff when you are not using it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode