DSM PROS and CONS?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DSM PROS and CONS??

I was wondering what people think about DSM and their experiences. I'm a little hesitant on trying it but I really want a tank with a nice dwarf hair grass carpet. What are the biggest mistakes people do when using the DSM, what to look for or anything helpful tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my experience, DSMing my hair grass greatly reduced the time it would have taken to carpet. Same goes for all other plants I've done in that method. In my paludariums, I use mostly emersed aquatics and they do great. Another benefit is that it can start to get your substrate hoppin' biologically.

Only draw back I'd say would be the slow growth and leaf loss that happens sometimes when you fill up the tank and the plants start to adjust. However, w/ a healthy root system, they will bounce back quickly if they do suffer at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you planning to use CO2 after DSM?

I went DSM with DHG before and it took longer than start out with CO2 while waiting for tank to cycle .. 1st two weeks, there were not a lot of growth but the 3rd week on the DHG really took off.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The only downside is you have to wait before adding water and livestock. If you have patience, It's a great way get your plants established.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh ok well no I'm not planing to use co2 and I got all the time in the world so it's no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode