Background painting advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Background painting advice

When you place a tank in the very corner of a light painted room and the back is def going to be painted black, would you paint the other side (end) that's going to be against the wall, or does it look better left unpainted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

Depends, will it forever be in a corner? Cause if you move it and it's not anymore, then it'lll look kinda odd with 2 sides painted out of 4. I'd just use those black papers they sell at any LFS, but instead of using it for the background I'd use it for the side.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Use a black towel or anything else you have and try it both ways. (empty).
If you like it, paint it. But yes, if you move it, then you may have to scrape off the paint. A removable background might be better.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes this tank will permanently be in a corner. After this tank gets filled and going I won't have a chance to paint the short end side so I was just asking if a tank set in a corner looked better with just the back painted or with both the back and the side.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 AM
Algae Grower

Paint both. Much cleaner

Last edited by BuddhaBoy; 06-26-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Paint both . If you look in from the open side , the opposite side against the wall becomes the 'back' . Not painting the side against the wall could end up creating sort of a visual disconnect between the black of the back and the transparency of the side ' back'.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
why paint? get some black vinyl backing from a fish store.

I have foam core board on the back of my tank... granted, after a year it needs to be replaced; but I wouldn't paint it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

Do it! I just set up a new tank and am kicking myself for not painting the side as well...

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used generic black latex paint and it comes off pretty easily (too easily if you ask me...)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

Use Plastidip. Stays and looks like paint, as cheap as paint, but you can peel it anytime you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Do something non permanent like black fabric stretched and stapled to a wood frame made to fit behind the tank and work as a background. You can remove it if you move the tank, or need to see if there is say.. a dead/hiding fish in decor along the back wall.

I will be doing mini project this hopefully this weekend (with the help of my handy hubby ^^) with some let over black table cloth . I cut the original cloth a bit shorter and cut out around the tank as well as to a corner with added Velcro so it can be put on and taken off the table without disturbing the tank, requirement, or riparium plants. Makes it very easy to clean. The background that will be made from the left over fabric will just be placed behind the tank, but if/when I get around to adding fish and have to find any hiding/missing ones I can just push the background out of the way "ah there you are!" Much easier than painting it on then swearing when you have to razor blade scrap it off for.. whatever reason or just scrap the tank for a new one because you no-longer want that background that's kinda permanently on there.

You can also buy those pre-made wallpaper backgrounds at lfs but honestly if you are willing to put in the little work and have some scrap wood, screws, and a staple gun (or some tacks).. getting a few feet of fabric would be cheaper.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Scraping paint off a tank is very easy with a razor blade. I used Krylon fusion spray paint on my 50 gallon breeder (reef) and had to scrap it multiple times due to orange peeling. I was impatient and painted it during the winter in my basement which was about 45 degrees!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
Scraping paint off a tank is very easy with a razor blade. I used Krylon fusion spray paint on my 50 gallon breeder (reef) and had to scrap it multiple times due to orange peeling. I was impatient and painted it during the winter in my basement which was about 45 degrees!
Ah,..I thought it would be a bit more 'elbow grease' work to get paint off since I've never done it myself.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Ah,..I thought it would be a bit more 'elbow grease' work to get paint off since I've never done it myself.
I was pleasantly surprised as well! When I saw the peeling I thought I was going to have to use paint thinner but I tried a razor blade and it worked very well. I would be very nervous to try this on a ADA or low iron glass tank as the scratch far easier than a normal tank. I used to scrape coralline algae off my low iron nano tank with a razor blade and ended up with a few scratches due to carelessness.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
With the latex paint I used you could easily scrape it with a plastic putty knife. I just bought a $5 sample of black paint at Home Depot and it was plenty for my 37 and 65 gallon tanks. Took 4-5 coats using a small roller.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode