Volunteering @ a retirement home Part 2- UV sterilizer help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Volunteering @ a retirement home Part 2- UV sterilizer help needed

Recap from last post: I'm volunteering to help a retirement home fix green water in their tanks.
Management at the retirement home ordered this off ebay (pic below)...after searching the web, this looks like a jebo uv sterilizer and I think its missing an air pump or something. I have never installed one of these or owned one before so any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140624_009.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	337474  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That one is designed to run in-line on a canister filter, not a "plug and play" model.

If I remember correctly, these tanks have HOB filters, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes aquaclear 20 on the 15 gallon and aquaclear 30 on the 25 gallon.

After doing some research I think you can connect it to a pump that feeds into the sterilizer and back into the tank. Is it possible to connect this to a hob?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-25-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Planted Member

You normally want to filter the water before it hits the UV to prevent particulates from settling inside the unit and blocking the light. What if you affixed a pre-filter to a power head and then ran tubing to the UV from there?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

It *might* be possible (though probably difficult) to plumb one into an HOB filter, but I would not recommend it, as HOB filter motors are not at all designed to deal with the kind of pressure they'd need to pull/push water through tubing and a unit like that.

I'll often buy used to save some $$, but this is one instance where I think the home will end up spending more $$ trying to make this unit work rather than just buying a new stand-alone unit. At a minimum, if you don't buy a canister filter to install it into, you're going to need a powerhead or pump and prefilter. Probably also some tubing, and some sort of filter return if you go with the pump rather than powerhead...

Especially since this unit probably also needs a new bulb. UV bulbs don't last very long, and there's no way to know how old this one is and how much use it saw.

I think the Green Killing Machine has been recommended before. It's a plug and play piece of equipment that has been around for a long time and isn't terribly expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Killing-Machine-Internal-Sterilizer/dp/B001KP9B2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403714802&sr=8-2&keywords=uv+sterilizer

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh the entire unit was bought new off ebay so the UV bulb is brand new. I heard that you're not supposed to use these 24/7 anyways. As for a powerhead, I have one at home that I don't use and could give it to them.
I don't think they would want to return this one for the green killing machine one since they just bought it and want to see the results from this one. If it leaks or something then they'll probably return it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

OK, then rig it up as suggested above:
Pre-filter on the pump then whatever tubing you need to run the water through it, and land back in the tank. Remember to use hose clamps to secure the tubing.
Take the unit with you to the store when you buy the tubing to make sure it fits.

When you assemble it a little smear of petroleum jelly can make the tubing slide on better, and easier to remove if needed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is it absolutely necessary to have a pre-filter on the pump? The one I have is the one with a triangular covering on the intake nozzle.
Also, once setup how long per day do I leave the UV light on?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

OH I didn't realize it was NIB from Ebay.

I'd leave it running most of the day at least if you're wanting to kill off the algae more quickly. Did it come with instructions? There may be a recommendation you shouldn't exceed due to possible heat buildup.

People that run them on their tanks all the time don't run them all day, but they're not fighting algae blooms.

As long as the water is being filtered before it enters the UV unit, then you should be fine. Depends on where you place the pump/powerhead in relation to the UV unit.

Sponges are super cheap, though. I personally would stick some kind of additional sponge filter in the design even if the pump aready does have a built-in filter, since every built in pump prefilter I've personally seen has been pretty sorry. And in general, the more debris you keep outside of your equipment, the better.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

When you say filtered do you mean mechanical filtration or biological? I mean if all it is is adding a sponge to the intake then thats not too hard.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Purely mechanical, just to keep debris out of the UV (and pump/powerhead).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode