Need substrate suggestion please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need substrate suggestion please

Looking for your best name brand suggestion for a black substrate that's good for bottom dwellers and plant rooting. Ideally it should be just a little bigger in size than play sand which I've heard is difficult to vacuum.

Requirements are that it's black, easy to vacuum, good for bottom dwellers and rooting plants. Something about the size of pool filter sand would do the trick if I could find any in black. And the Black Diamond large grit Blasting Sand might do well, but I'm afraid I might get hold of some with sharp edges, which of course I'd like to avoid.

Can anyone suggest a substrate that meets all my requirements?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use black diamond and tons of Corie's and never have had an issue. My plecos like it too always rooting around in it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
180 Gallon planted
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
There is a sand type amazonia I believe.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've never used Play Sand or Pool Filter Sand, so I can't really compare it to that, but my most recent setup has Flourite Black Sand and I'm pretty happy with it. It looks nice, my bottom dwellers are happy, and my plants are doing phenomenal.
Can't say much on vacuuming though. This is my first tank with sand, so I haven't quite got the sand vacuuming technique down yet.

Huge fan and collector of Asian catfish (particularly Bagrids).
My Display Tanks: 150g (+sump) planted tank, 60g (+sump) Sumatra blackwater tank, 30g Borneo blackwater tank, 55g hillstream tank, 30g H planted tank
In progress: 55g planted native tank
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
I've never used Play Sand or Pool Filter Sand, so I can't really compare it to that, but my most recent setup has Flourite Black Sand and I'm pretty happy with it. It looks nice, my bottom dwellers are happy, and my plants are doing phenomenal.
Can't say much on vacuuming though. This is my first tank with sand, so I haven't quite got the sand vacuuming technique down yet.
Most sand unless it's extremely fine grain will fall back to the substrate if you squeeze the hose while gravel washing. This sill allow the lighter 'waste' to go up. I use this technique all the time for pool filter sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode