First Time Post! What do you think of my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Time Post! What do you think of my tank?

Hey,

This is my first day on the forum. Ive had various aquariums for 17 years, however this is my first true effort at a planted tank.

Set up: 10 glass rimless cube no top (3.5 gallon), fluval nano led (84 leds/7800k/8 watts) on 8 hours daily, fluorite black substrate, flourish/excel/iron, red sea mini clear filter with just filter fiber, ehime 25 watt heater, no CO2 system.

Looking to work with what I have hardware wise aka no CO2. So far I have 1 java fern, 1 anubious, 1 betta, 1 baby ottocat, 1 small drift wood. Getting more plants soon as Im interested in the "full/ grown in look. Recommendations on fert dosing? plant type recommendations? Not looking for something I must trim weekly.

Thanks!
Little brown algae from lack of plants I think. Why I got the otto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheMonaLisa; 06-24-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Hello and Welcome!!

Looks like you are off to a good start! You may want to grade the substrate some, so it is lower in the front and higher in the rear, this will create a better since of depth in the aquarium, since you don't have a lot of space to work with you need to make it look bigger.

There are a bunch of low light plants you could get and try out, what I did when I was starting out here on TPT, I found one of the members with a huge sales thread with lots of scientific names of plants and started google searching away, then I came up with a list of things I liked and looked around for those.

As a low light tank you are not going to need much fertilizer, if you wanted to invest into some dry fertilizers they would last you a very long time. I have seen people have good results with store bought fertilizers like Seachem in low-tech setups, but in the long run, money wise, you are better off buying your dry fertilizers and making the solution yourself, Zorfox has an awesome post on how to make DIY solutions of different strengths. You could even try out some root tabs, the best ones in the hobby seem to be Oscomote+ root tab, you can get there here on TPT, best price I have seen is around $6 for 100. Plants will always get great benefits from co2, or a carbon source, and can be a great addition to your fertilizers. If you don't want to invest in a injected co2 system, you could try DIY or you could dose Excel. There is another chemical, can't remember its name, that is basically excel just a little strong and its supposed to be way cheaper, this may be an option for you if you are not wanting to go with injected co2 but don't mine $20 on an alternative carbon source.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Huh I was thinking with the light rated for a 5-10 gallon tank it would at least be considered a medium light on a 3 gallon tank...

Last edited by TheMonaLisa; 06-25-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice tank. Does your betta bother your otto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonaLisa View Post
I was thinking with the light rated for a 5-10 gallon tank it would at least be considered a medium light on a 3 gallon tank.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No he's very interested in the Otto but so far hasn't touched him. Giving him plenty of pellets to keep him full just in case.

So only low light plants? No mediums?

Last edited by TheMonaLisa; 06-26-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yah, stick to low light plants. Also, that anubias, don't let the rhizome be under the substrate, otherwise it will rot and the plant will die.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Yah, stick to low light plants. Also, that anubias, don't let the rhizome be under the substrate, otherwise it will rot and the plant will die.
Same with the java fern. The rhizome must be exposed.

I disagree with the others. I think a 7W LED with good spread is more than enough for a 3 gallon tank. I don't think you'll be too limited in what you can grow.

Check out marisela minuta. That and a couple of crypts (maybe wendtii) would look great in your minimalist setup.

Welcome to TPT
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the recommendations! My local aquatic shop gets a shipment tomorrow so I will update in 2 days.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM
bmo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
i like it so far, maybe check out some Crypt Undulata, or Wendtii Red.

29g Planted, 10g Craytank, 5.5g
R.I.P Cherries, eaten by the tag along crayfish...
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just picked up a lotus bulb, cript, and an unknown long thin plant in the back right, and 3 snails. Planning to dose excel every other day and flourish and iron twice a week.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That unknown long plant looks like crypt balansae.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The anubious is growing much faster than described with an amazing root system and the java fern has turned kinda white and the roots have totally all fallen off (so tied it to the wood). The aquatic store guys think the light is too strong for the java fern and burned it. I looked the light up and couldn't find and PAR information but did find that it is rated for 321lumens. On a 3.5 gallon tank they advised it's between medium and high light.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Cryptocoryne Petchii may be a better plant for a tank that small. I have them in a 10g which is also hard to find plants for that don't look too big in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Planted Member

Why the upgrade to the heater? that thing could heat a house.
Also that otto will go insane, they like a group, plus the tank is about 12 gallons too small.
Those fluval lights are capable of growing a lot of low to high light plants. My LFS has one over a 5 gallon cherry shrimp display tank growing hair grass and moss galore.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode