Opinions on used tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Opinions on used tank?

2 year old 35 gallon tank, custom Cherry Stand made for the tank, Whisper filter with 'many' spare cartridges. Also a day and night lighting system with a spare bulb chemicals, food, gravel and tank ornament.

What would you think a fair price is for this, going to see it? He claims the stand cost $140, He wants 175 for all. I think it could be worth a range of prices, depending on tank and hood quality?

I have 2 nanos, I would like a big(but not huge tank)

Any opinions/advice welcomed and thanked in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Seems like the stand is a selling point. If it's important to you (living room, etc.) and it's in good shape, it's a very fair price. Being "custom" it can also be poorly built. The proof is in the viewing. The day/night thing may be nothing more than a couple of timers.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

I agree that 175 is a good price, but I doubt that the quality of the tank and hood could vary very much. Like bushkill said, it's a good price for the tank, but it really depends on the quality of the stand.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Wow. maybe I'm getting a bit jaded; but that sounds pretty expensive for a used setup. I would pay no more than $1/gallon for a used tank (considering you can get a new tank for that price when the sales roll around). A used whisper filter usually goes for $10 or less (and can often be had from a garage sale with a 10 gallon tank for $10 or less). The other stuff is a bit harder to comment no as we dont know what kind of light, etc. If the cherry stand is really exceptionally nice then maybe I could see spending around $100 for a used stand (even that seems pricey to me!). Do you really need/want the gravel, food and decorations?

Cliffs notes version: I'd say anything under $100 would be a good price for a used setup like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 the stand makes or breaks the deal
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

I've noticed around here folks price things way, way, WAY too high. Like $600 for a 75g planted tank. Does include two eheim filters, two heaters and a CO2 cannister, stand, canopy, light fixture. But $600??? This stuff is USED, not new!

I just don't get how folks think they can get so much for tanks, etc.

+2 lksdrinker

mk

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Nietzsche

40g Congo Biotope
8 Congo tetras
2 Ctenopoma fasciolatum
(1 wee Ancistrus temminckii that doesn't count)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

Look at the seals, and make sure you fill it up before you pay him. I normally find amazing prices on used tanks, some you would think were crazy to go for so little.

Also check what type of hood it is, and the light system. I'd say without the stand it's not worth it, but just see how the quality is of everything.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ehhhh most sellers price high because they know buyers will talk them down. He knows his stuff ain't worth 175. I think for 175 you can get a brand new tank and stand. As far as the whisper filters walmart sells them cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode