Mixed carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixed carpet?

Has anyone ever mixed in dwarf hair grass with dwarf baby tears for a carpet? I think it might make for an interesting look. I am tempted to give it a try unless it just ends up looking like an unholy mess from others experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

I think if it is evenly mixed throughout, it will look...messy and man-made. However, if planted in sections, and, allowed to overlap and flow together, it would look more natural and pleasing. I think the trick is to plan it out... but, get it to look natural and 'un-planned'! LOL! Hope this helps, and, of course...just my opinion without seeing it. Do as you have in mind and see how it goes. You're the artist and your vision might be stunning...won't know until we see it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

I would definitely try it!

I hate it when people obsess over keeping plants seperate in an aquarium. In nature, plants grow together. There are plants that grow in between skinny plants, with other plants, under tall plants, etc. Trying stuff like what you're doing can be great for making a healthy, dense, natural-looking planted tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
It doesn't look messy at all. It actually looks more natural for HC and E. parvula to grow together, especially because E. parvula doesn't grow very tall so it has a whispy effect. I would generally prefer a mixed carpet of at least three species because it looks more natural.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed. I like the way DHG looks mixed with other carpeting plants. What I hate is trimming the DHG and removing the clippings
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I did Belem with glosso and regretted it.

The problem is that they will start growing over each other or one will end up out competing the other over time, leaving you with a lot more of one than the other.

It might work with HC though but them again I also could see the HC dying due to being out competed in the same spot.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm trying it right now but without co2 it's not looking good.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I have a bubble bowl I'm just letting grow on its own that has dwarf baby tears, micro sword, and narrow leaf chain sword I'm letting slowly grow into each other.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode