Fluorite Rant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluorite Rant

I added some Seachem Fluorite Black to my tank when I redid my tank on Saturday, and it is driving me crazy!! We washed the substrate for over an hour and then finally added it to the tank. I've had to do water changes everyday since then because the water just won't clear up!

I added a carbon cartridge to my filter, so fingers crossed that it'll help get some of the icky cloudiness out.

I don't know if I will ever go the Fluorite route ever again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's normal. Give it a few more days and a few more water changes.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Went through the process with a 180G. It does clear up. Patience is the name of the game with this one.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:52 PM
bmo
Algae Grower

I suggest when filling a new tank for the first time, place something in the tank(Cup, bowl, plate etc..) in the tank, and allow the water to flow onto it, slowly overflowing and filling the tank. You will get much less cloudiness.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

carbon in your filter wont do anything for what you're experiencing. It'll clear in time, or if you're desperate, add something like accu-clear or some other flocculant that will make the free floating particles in your water heavier so they sink faster or get sucked into your filter easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Boy do I understand this even using the "correct" rinse technique it took days for my tank to naturally settle.. but it will......
Quote:
Keep in mind that the more you wash it, the more you abrade it, and the more stuff it will let go of. This is counterproductive. Not only won't it EVER be completely clear, you're eating away at that expensive substrate you just bought. You want it to leach out that stuff in your tank, not in the aluminum pan in the garden!
http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/fluorite.html

Quote:
STEP 5- YO!!! THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!

If you skip this step, you might as well forget all the other ones, and I wash my hands of you AND your Fluorite. Shake as much water as you can out of the Fluorite while it's in the colander, spread a garage towel (come on, EVERYBODY has garage towels) on a nice sunny spot, and then spread the Fluorite out on the towel. LET DRY!!! If you want to speed the process along, once it's dry on top, grab another garage towel and spread it out; then pick up the Fluorite in the towel. Just use the edges to slide it to the middle, grab all four corners and lift; you won't lose a piece, I promise. then spread it out on the dry towel, and it will be dry in no time. I usually leave it out there for half an hour or so and go do something else in the meantime. Once it's dry, pick it up in the towel again and put towel and all in a five gallon bucket, and then just carefully remove the towel. VOILA!! It's ready to go in the tank.
Quote:
I promise you that if you add your fluorite (or ANY substrate, for that matter) to the tank dry, you will have virtually no cloudiness at all from the substrate material.
didn't exactly work for me but I think I didn't sufficiently dry it enough..long story.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-23-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: yo
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabruce View Post
That's normal. Give it a few more days and a few more water changes.
Yeah it's already looking better than the first night, but I just finished cycling the tank so I was looking forward to not having to do so many water changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Went through the process with a 180G. It does clear up. Patience is the name of the game with this one.
It really is, isn't it? My CaribSea sand didn't take this long at all T^T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmo View Post
I suggest when filling a new tank for the first time, place something in the tank(Cup, bowl, plate etc..) in the tank, and allow the water to flow onto it, slowly overflowing and filling the tank. You will get much less cloudiness.
Usually this is what I do. I left an inch or two of water while I added the plants, and I switched the substrate around one too many times I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
carbon in your filter wont do anything for what you're experiencing. It'll clear in time, or if you're desperate, add something like accu-clear or some other flocculant that will make the free floating particles in your water heavier so they sink faster or get sucked into your filter easier.
Thanks! I read somewhere that carbon might help but I guess they were wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Boy do I understand this even using the "correct" rinse technique it took days for my tank to naturally settle.. but it will......

http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/fluorite.html

didn't exactly work for me but I think I didn't sufficiently dry it enough..long story.
Man, I wish I had seen this before I had redone my tank!! Will definitely keep this in mind next time!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Stuff your filters with a ton of floss and keep changing it out.

I don't think carbon will do anything, you need fine mechanical filtration to remove all the floating particles.

You could use micron pads, but that would be alot more expensive as you'd probably go through them really quickly.

I take Flourite outside and keep blasting a hose into it till the water runs off clear. I fill up a 3 gal bucket 1/2 way up with Flourite at a time and it generally takes about 15 min per bucket.

I did dry it out once and definitely did see a difference, but then also ended up with a whole lot of air pockets that took FOREVER to bubble out. (This was also in a bigger tank so it was a whole lot more annoying than it probably would have been in a smaller tank.)

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The best way to wash this stuff is...not at all. The best thing to do is to fill it SLOWLY.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've set up tanks without any cloudiness using flourite.

I put the substrate in, no water, and then I plant, and while I'm planting I'll periodically spray the whole tank down with treated water in a misting bottle. I'll do this fairly heavily a few times while planting, and then again after I'm done planting. Then I'll stick a spare filter sponge or something in, and slowly pour the water onto that.

I think the spraying helps wash the fines down lower into the substrate, and the sponge helps break up/diffuse the water flow so it doesn't disturb the substrate.

Another method I've seen people post vids of (I've used it myself once) is to take a soda/water bottle, put your substrate in that, fill it with water, put it in the tank, invert it, and let the substrate fall out. pretty much all of the cloudiness remains in the bottle, which you then turn right side up, take out, and dump in a planter/sink/whatever, and repeat.

For clearing the water, carbon won't do much - that only really helps with organics like tannins. floss might be the cheapest, but keep an eye on it and change it fairly frequently so it doesn't slow your flowrate too much.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
The best way to wash this stuff is...not at all. The best thing to do is to fill it SLOWLY.
This is the method I will being trying soon. I got in the hobby more than 10 years ago and the only substrate I have used is actually Flourite. I don't have any regrets with the purchase. That's where the research comes into play, knowing what your buying. I have come across many post online of people not washing their floruite and statements that your washing away usable nutrients. What are the effects of not washing vs washing a little vs washing too much. Whats the answer...There are other factors to be considered for good plant growth so to pin point the cleaning or not cleaning of Flourite is up for grabs.

When I first started out in 2001, there were not a alot of options for me and my budget. Flourite won hands down so I stuck with it. I was told to wash and wash and wash. The cloudiness will clear up in a day or so. All came true. Still til this day if I uproot something, I get a little cloudiness but it dissipates in minutes. The trick is the filling and the uprooting process taken to minimize cloudiness but you will more than likely still have dust to a degree from Flourite no matter what you do.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

Despite all that has been posted on cleaning Flourite, it was easy for me. Did the following:

-washed the substrate in a bucket and kept tilting it and draining off the dirty water. Did a partial bag at a time. Took 30 minutes per batch.

-placed substrate in tank and then poured water onto a plate slowly.

-filled fluval canister with filter floss. Water was running pretty clear by morning.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

I didn't have any cloudiness at all when I used flourite. I didn't wash it all all, just added it dry to the dry tank. Added a little water to dampen but not submerge the substrate and then planted it. To fill, I laid a plastic grocery bag on the bottom with a weighted plate on top and slowly filled, running the water off the plate. Stayed clear even after I turned on the MP10. Trying to wash it out before use (to me) is a waste of time, lol!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Algae Grower

I recently set up a tank with Flourite Black Sand and tried the dump it in dry and fill slow method. Except I was impatient and didn't fill it slow enough so it got cloudy. I did a continuous water change that got most of it out and then let it settle a couple days with two filters running on it. No cloudiness since. There's a little puff of dust when I mess with plants, but it settles back down pretty quickly.
I had tried regular Flourite right before and tried to rinse first, but it was way too time consuming and really frustrating because the pictures online when I ordered showed a rich, even dark brown color, not a mix of the other colors. I washed away all the even brown color...

Huge fan and collector of Asian catfish (particularly Bagrids).
My Display Tanks: 150g (+sump) planted tank, 60g (+sump) Sumatra blackwater tank, 30g Borneo blackwater tank, 55g hillstream tank, 30g H planted tank
In progress: 55g planted native tank
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Here is what I do with Flourite:

- 80-90% don't wash it, put it in the tank
- 10-20% wash well and use as a cover layer
- Spray some water over it, to clean the glass and wash the finest particles down
- Make a little hole using a piece of 2" PVC or so
- Suck all the water out down to the bottom glass and discard it (this moves the finest particles to the lower layers)
- Fill very v e r y slowly. Just be patient... let it drip for a day or even two.
- Start planting when the water level is still low. There will be a bit of dust, which settles down fast.
- Wait another couple of hours after planting, then turn on your filter. Obviously don't direct the outflow towards the substrate.

This has worked for me every time. Washing the entire Flourite wastes a lot of the finer particles which, well, you paid for.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode