Mini M 6 66.67%
45f 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
What tank???

I am in the final drawing board for a new tank. I can't decide between a 45f or a Mini M. I like both tanks but am worried the 45f will be too shallow and that it will be hard to find a light for the mini m. My plan was to go with the 18" satellite freshwater + on the 45f but Im not sure what light fits on a mini m other than the aquasky and IMO ~180 for an led like that is a bit much considering the bells and whistles on a current fixture.

Please vote Mini m or 45f. If you have a good lighting solution for a mini m I would love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have my Mini M with a planted+ 16" with risers made by Fuze here on the forums. I'm growing my plants slowly but surely (no co2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm using the Finnex Fugeray-R on my mini m. It's a low tech shrimp tank with lots of moss and anubias petite though. I used to have it high-tech with a 16" Ray 2 suspended. A Planted+ would be nice for it.

But I'd get a 45p (or GLA or Mr Aqua equivalent) and you can get you 18" Satellite LED+

As for the shallow tanks, I'd get the 60F over the 45F for the little extra vertical height. Just saying.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The reason I am only choosing between the 45f and mini m is volume. I am going to be using RODI with the EI method and I don't want to use more than 2 gallon jugs to mix it for 50 percent water changes. My girlfriend already thinks theres a lot of fishtank crap around from my reef so I have to keep the water making operation to a minimum.

I was looking at the 60f but really its only 1 inch deeper so im not sure it would make much of a difference vertically. The larger footprint would be nice but my limit is about ~5 gallons at the moment.

If I were to get the 45f would I need to hang the satellite + or can I just sit it on top of the tank?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can always use PPS-Pro so you don't have to make 50% weekly PWC's. I use this method in all my tanks and get excellent results. The lazy half of me is grateful because I can't imagine doing 50% pwc's weekly on 5 tanks! Haha

GF, I get that.. mine sometimes can give me issues. But hey, it's give and take. Take her out to dinner or buy her a new pair of shoes or something! Then she might just let you get a "slightly" larger tank.

On the 45f, I'd definitely suspend the light.

Check out my 60f, I suspended the new E-Series over it.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=665186

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I'm actually going to go with the 60f. How does the Current freshwater + compared to the E-series light you are running? Would I be able to use a Current fixture suspended over the 60f and get full coverage?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm pretty sure a Sat+ would suffice. The spread is pretty good, but since PAR isn't the greatest, you shouldn't suspend too high unless you're going low tech. But here's a good 60F with a Sat+ suspended.

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthread.php?17161-ADA-60F

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info.

Would a fluval 2213 be enough for this tank or should I get the 2215?

Also since you have the 60p as well how would you compare them? Which do you like more?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use a fluval 106 with Lily pipes for the majority of the time I had the 60F up. I personally like fluval better, but most would probably argue and go with eheim. Both are good filters, IMO. I just like fluval better.

Man.. I like both tanks almost equally. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges. But if I could only have one, I'd go with the 60p. It's more versatile and the quintessential ADA tank that hits a sweet spot of not too small or large.. It can appear larger than what it is or smaller, depending on how you scape it.

Here's my 60p... grown with dual Sat+ lights.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d.php?t=303877

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode