how long did it take before you got it right? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
how long did it take before you got it right?

I got into this hobby about 3 months ago and I have been working towards getting my.75g just how I want it. I feel its going to be a while before I am really happy with it.

Curious how long did it take you guys before your scape really came together and you were really happy with it.

I at the point where I feel I know what I aiming for but basically waiting on growth and to propagate more plants to finish up my scape.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Planted Member

Never seem to get there. Friends and family say wow that is great but I always see something I want to be different or better lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree with Zepr, I am always trying to make it "better."

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Went planted for the first time around Jan, obviously learning as I go. Im not at all crazy about my hardscape and whatnot. But I do have a tank full of thriving plants. For now that's all that matters.

Friends and family sometimes think Ive lost my mind because Im always moving stuff around. My girlfriend got down right mad at me for dismantling the moss caves the other day. That was her favorite part lol.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know what you guys means. I look at.my scape and keep generating new ideas all the time. But with it being only 3 months old I am still waiting for some of my.plants to grow and propagate.

Low tech in this case is not fun. I hate waiting. I might start buying more plants

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Every scape is different, but don't be fooled by some pics you see on the Net. Many are of tanks taken in that 'golden moment' when everything comes together before and after a trim, etc. The tank doesn't always look that way. One good thing about low-tech is once you like the scape it usually stays there longer and is easier to maintain.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

II am aware that those pics of gorgeous scapes are not of how the tank is all the time. While planing my scape I am trying to use plants that will not require too much maint in order to maintain the look longer.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
II am aware that those pics of gorgeous scapes are not of how the tank is all the time. While planing my scape I am trying to use plants that will not require too much maint in order to maintain the look longer.
Yep, got off stems a while back. I don't usually use them anymore in any of my scapes. When I did that, stopped testing it became more fun again.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
There's is no "getting it right" even spacers who make those tank layouts that make us go "oooo i want that!" will still have the urge to ty something different/change something so its a never ending process.
If you are referring to getting a proper balance of ferts, co2, light rather than scaping/layout design I've been at it over a year and still dealing with algae and deficiencies, different types in different tanks.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
I like jungles, so fairly instant.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I do all low tech so things move more slowly. It usually takes me 6 months to a year before I have tweaked a scape enough to achieve my "vision." Though my "vision" has invariably evolved during that time, too. lol

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
Never seem to get there. Friends and family say wow that is great but I always see something I want to be different or better lol.

x10

I've been reading a ton of tank journals and every now and then you see a member with what I think is a masterpeice of a scape decide to take it down and rescape because he/she isn't happy. It totally baffles my mind but I get it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Never really... I have been at it for 4 years. It seems like you nail one problem or issue and another issue comes up. Now, I only get little BBA but I have a consistent GSA outbreak. It may have something to do with my T8 light strip. Or I have a nice DHG carpet going but my giant hygros aren't doing well. I remember these giant hygros were growing mad crazy when I first started a planted tank. It got huge and all. Now, I am trying them again and they aren't thriving at all. Strange....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have to agree the scape is always evolving but it's more about my collectivitis now... after learning how to balance things and that didn't happen over night... I tend to pickup the hard to grow or rare to the hobby SP(s). The strange or unusual gets my attention these days.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yep, got off stems a while back. I don't usually use them anymore in any of my scapes. When I did that, stopped testing it became more fun again.
Why is this? Is it because stems grow faster, taller? Are they harder to grow?

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode