When does a hobby become an obsession? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
When does a hobby become an obsession?

You want to stop and smell the roses so you build a massive rose garden but then your too tired to even care what the roses smell like.

Hard to find a balance ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Know that feeling, have several tanks running, whenever I try to stop and just enjoy watching them all I do is see whats wrong/what needs fixed (algae to remove, plants need trimmed, diatoms on glass need whipped off.. etc).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Funny you should mention roses. Me and the missus were at one time heavily into growing roses. (My personal favs are Toro and Maman Cochet) We had 100s of plants. We were importing some and searching the nation for different roses. Own root, Dr. Huey and Fortuniana rootstocks.
We would walk in toward the house when coming home and the fragrance was out of sight. When they were in bloom it was such a sight. Sure, it took a lot to care for them and tons of time learning. So fish are really the same. I've got many tanks up and running. I go out to the fish house every night to feed them. Then I sit for a spell and just look. Of course the calm demeanor I have while looking belies what is going on in my head. I want to move this, rescape that, get another tank up, time for a W/C, wow that fish is ready to pop. Sure, the mind is running a mile a minute. But that's the joy if the hobby to me. I look at each fish. Of course unlike my avatar I am looking at them for variances in behavior. But also just the shear beauty of them. It's all in your perspective of where you are in the hobby. Sure my mind is going all the time. But that's what I enjoy in addition to the fish and the plants themselves.

BTW there is no such thing as MTS.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
When you have 1000 posts................. or more!!!!!! I've seen 10,000 plus posts on more than one person's count.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
"When your hobbies get in the way of your work - that's OK; but when your hobbies get in the way of themselves... well."
-Steve Martin

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
"When your hobbies get in the way of your work - that's OK; but when your hobbies get in the way of themselves... well."
-Steve Martin

Oh I do like that one.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When you know all the 'alphabet soup' of abbreviations on the forums.
MTS = Multiple Tank Syndrome
MTS = Mega Tank Syndrome
MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snail
MTS = Mineralized Top Soil

and so on.

Last edited by Diana; 06-20-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: *
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_Man View Post
When you have 1000 posts................. or more!!!!!! I've seen 10,000 plus posts on more than one person's count.
I *might* have a *little* obsession.

I'm not as bad as George though. He has more tanks. As long as there's someone worse than me, it's all good, right?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Algae Grower

When does a hobby become an obsession?

About three months before you asked this question............

---Mark13
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i'm struggling with keeping all of my tanks up. Mainly because the water changes started to become tasking when the 4th tank went up. Instead of taking 2 of the tanks down, I just simplified my water change process. Now it takes 20-30min to do all 4 tanks on sunday morning.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
You are already obsessed since you created this thread. But usually the plant addiction starts with the first plant purchase. Some people can be in the hobby for long time with only one aquarium, but eventually almost everyone gets a second, or third, or fourth, and then one day you will be like me and have an aquarium in practically every room and fish stuff stashed through the entire apartment. I really enjoy this hobby; fish and plant keeping has really helped me out through some rough times in my life so I doubt it will be anything I am in a hurry to stop doing anytime soon. This is an excellent forum and community, the addiction starts here with us, once you reach 500 posts the admins send out a message to you about how to help draw people into the TPT cult!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It has become an obsession when your wife tells you it has.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When does a hobby become an obsesion ?
Can I change that one just a tad ?
How do I know if I'm obsesed(with these tanks) ?
People who are not obsesed don't go around asking others if they think their obsesed.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

it becomes an obsession when its like crack you get one tank then 2 etc. then you talk your wife into the hobby then she gets hooked then she has to have her own set of tanks then you and the wife go after the kid saying what fun it is then they get hooked and have there own set of tanks that you have stocked for them now lets see if i can get the dog to get her own set hmmmmmmmmmmm
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
when you can't find a balance between the real world and fish world. sometimes i don't do chores or run errands and i just stare at my tank for an hour.

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode