light and plants for TALL TANK - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
light and plants for TALL TANK

Hi all;

So I am in planning on setting up a new fish tank, its going to be roughly 1129mm tall or (44.5 inches) its covering a wall , and having a tank this deep I am pretty sure I am going to run into problems, to rub salt into the wound im going to be keeping cichlids as well.

So I am looking to keep a fairly heavily planted tank (I know cichlids love to rip up plants) so I came up with an IDEA and would love some input. So I was thinking I could put a little bit of plant substrate on the bottom of the tank, than put egg crate on top of it then cover that in cichlid substrate, my idea was that when I put all the plants into the cichlid substrate the roots will naturally want to go down into the plant substrate and whilst doing so it will tangle itself in the egg crate so that the fish cant pull the plants out. As I am running a sump I was thinking if I ever wanted to add more plants I could put them in the sump with small egg crates then once the roots are nice and tangled I can place them in the tank and put a couple rocks on the corners of the egg crates.

Then I am going to have the trouble with lighting of the tank for something this deep for a good grow, I have been looking everywhere and learnt a LOT about lighting but at the same time I am thoroughly confused so after all my reading I have come up with;

http://ledaqualights.com/shop/index.php ... duct_id=10
Specifications:
LED Type: 54 CREE XP-E LEDs (3 Watt each)
Maximum rated power: 162W
Power Frequeny: 50-60hz
Lumens: 13500
Luminous Efficacy: 97lm/w
LED Combination:24 x white 10000k (CREE), 14000k (bridgelux ),
16 x blue 460nm, 8 x moon light blue 453nm
Warranty: 2 years
Lifespan: 50,000+ hours
Dimensions: 900mm(L) x 140mm(W) x 40mm(H)
Power Supply: External, 35V DC 4.5A
Remote: Infrared (Optional with use of external controller - avaliable for $50 more).
SD Card Slot: Light schedule can be programmed via a PC or Mac (Optional with use of external controller - avaliable for $50 more).
Product Code: STAK2MKE84

It seems to me that this light should do the job I need it to, I am open to suggestions or what you think would be a better light for my tank (1270Lx550Wx1129H) or (50inch(L)x22.6inch(W)44.5(H))

Any suggestions welcome, I am limited with the fish and plants I buy to this website www.livefish.com.au as I live in a tiny town that only sells goldfish and guppies (Australia)

First Idea of plant list

Ambulia
Contortionist Val
Dwarf Gold Rush
Filigree Milfoil
Green Rush
Vallisneria
Fontinalis
Hairgrass Turfing
Thin Vallisneria
Amazon Swords
Deep Purple
Red October
Anubias Coffeefolia

Thanks for your help/input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also looking at this kit for CO2

https://aquariumproducts.com.au/cata...=6429&catID=58

possibly with a PH meter
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

(Sorry your post seems to have been caught in the forum's spam filters, they had to be tightened up recently due to a mass influx of spammers. Once you've had 5 posts it shouldn't happen again, though!)

I'll let some others chime in about your LED fixture since I'm still a n00b myself when it comes to LEDs.

But some of your plants look suspicious? Don't recognize a few of these common names, but I suspect they may be "bog" plants which will eventually die if kept fully submersed in an aquarium setting (apparently non-aquatics get sold as aquatics in Oz, too, huh!)

Quote:
Ambulia
Contortionist Val
Dwarf Gold Rush
Filigree Milfoil
Green Rush
Vallisneria
Fontinalis
Hairgrass Turfing
Thin Vallisneria
Amazon Swords
Deep Purple
Red October

Anubias Coffeefolia
The ones I bolded are the ones that I think need further research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

Give the folks at buildmyled.com a call. They have a full range of pre-tuned led lights and also if you want fully customizable spectrums. Their lights can also be ordered with various lenses to enhance light penetration in deeper tanks like yours. They are probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to led lights.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Betta View Post
Give the folks at buildmyled.com a call. They have a full range of pre-tuned led lights and also if you want fully customizable spectrums. Their lights can also be ordered with various lenses to enhance light penetration in deeper tanks like yours. They are probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to led lights.
The OP is in Australia. Shipping might be $$ lol

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
The OP is in Australia. Shipping might be $$ lol
Oh my I just noticed that. You are correct shipping could cost a lot so other options may be better! oops
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Welcome to TPT!

(Sorry your post seems to have been caught in the forum's spam filters, they had to be tightened up recently due to a mass influx of spammers. Once you've had 5 posts it shouldn't happen again, though!)

I'll let some others chime in about your LED fixture since I'm still a n00b myself when it comes to LEDs.

But some of your plants look suspicious? Don't recognize a few of these common names, but I suspect they may be "bog" plants which will eventually die if kept fully submersed in an aquarium setting (apparently non-aquatics get sold as aquatics in Oz, too, huh!)

The ones I bolded are the ones that I think need further research.

Thanks for the reply, this is where I am getting the plants from, hopefully this will help

Dwarf Gold Rush - https://www.livefish.com.au/catalogs...warf+Gold+Rush
Green Rush - https://www.livefish.com.au/catalogs.../?q=Green+Rush
Deep Purple - https://www.livefish.com.au/catalogs...?q=Deep+Purple
Red October - https://www.livefish.com.au/catalogs...?q=Red+October
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Betta View Post

LOL thanks for the reply anyway....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I just recently got some Vallisneria Gigantea and they're humongous; some were easily 4' before I trimmed them. You might want to consider them for such a tall tank.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggo View Post
I just recently got some Vallisneria Gigantea and they're humongous; some were easily 4' before I trimmed them. You might want to consider them for such a tall tank.
Will have a look at them, cheers
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
That light really looks geared for a marine tank. Plants would prefer a warmer color temp closer to 7000k and you would get mor photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), especially good for a tank of that depth. You maybe able to get away with the crees at 10k with some hardy plants but... That is a ton of led wattage and would probably have algae issues up top if placed directly on the tank. I use a finnex @20 watts for a tank only 6" less wide (if yours is as wide as the light at 36), but half as tall and its too much light.. Those crees have a wide 120° beam angle and will disperse pretty quickly too.

Not sure if you can find it, but my hygrophila angustifolia regularly grows over 30" before i trim and i have a feeling it can get alot taller. Its extremely hardy and ive grown it under 10000k light. Plus if you raised the light/got less powerful one you can trim the lower leaves and looks like a little palm tree Wouldnt have to worry bought getting much par at the bottom. Add in some java moss too for any fry you might get.

Ive never used such a powerful led system and only have wattage to go on or grown those plants, so their maybe others that have better experience, but my opinion is you could probably choose different color temps, less wattage, taller/easier plants (injecting co2?, doubt it for cichlids) or raise that monster like 2ft off the tank and try to get the substrate higher..

Edit: Nice, seems hygro is even native in Australia. http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...ustifolia.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode