This shall be my next tank. Anyone else have a green pool? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
This shall be my next tank. Anyone else have a green pool?

http://blog.petflow.com/this-is-what...he-future-wow/

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
really cool idea, love it.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry. Never going to happen in my family. Most of my group grew up swimming in the pond and now refuse to consider it! We even get fussy when the water warms in the local lakes around Austin. The water feels okay but you begin to notice a definite "earthy" taste that we would rather avoid.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'd much rather have that 'earthy' taste than chlorine.

Its a cool idea, but there are too many people who are squeamish about jumping into a blackwater pond. Even though it is clearly filtered and quite clean.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I'd much rather have that 'earthy' taste than chlorine.

Its a cool idea, but there are too many people who are squeamish about jumping into a blackwater pond. Even though it is clearly filtered and quite clean.
Depends on how close to the cow that "earth" is found!!! When the smell can be ID'd, it's too close for me.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Depends on how close to the cow that "earth" is found!!! When the smell can be ID'd, it's too close for me.
Pretty funny! I totally agree.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

It does not take too many jumps into a swamp to know where that pond is going to be in 5 years.

If you are ok jumping into a pond, then it will work for you. But honest, coming out smelling like heck is not a swim.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

Thumbs up This is a great idea

I go swimming in a lake nearby that is in a moderate to major point of pollution. People obviously don't care about the environment, which is there is so much trash in certain areas. The bottom of it is sludge and debris, but I always consider swimming in a natural pool is better in some way. I would think that this is a good idea. When I lived in my other house in the country before my parents got divorced, we had a ditch that we would swim in on hot Summer days, as well as some nights because the water was usually warmer. When it was starting to become winter, they would stop the water flowing and there would be puddles with many species of fish inside of them. Rather than leaving them there to freeze, I set up a small pond inside of our garage. When spring came, I released them in the lake that I mentioned and made sure it was ok for me to do so before I did. The fish that I kept were native to that lake so it gave me a good sense that it was a good idea. Since I currently no longer live in the country, I do my best to save the lives of fish by keeping an eye out on some nearby canals. Last year, I did the same, except I went to a canal and the fish were much bigger. I did my best by saving a majority of the young fish and I also got 4 axolotl's and about three gallons of scuds. I released a majority of the things I caught, but I kept the scuds to feed my fish( some sun dried, some alive). Overall, chlorine pools kill my hair and my skin, so I hate swimming in them and I never would say no to swim natural.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I never minded swimming in the local lakes and rivers. I like swimming in our pool at home better than at school or the YMCA... the excess chlorine makes my eyes and skin itch.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I see the natural pool idea as just a really big planted aquarium. I would definitely go swimming in my aquarium if I could!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
I see the natural pool idea as just a really big planted aquarium. I would definitely go swimming in my aquarium if I could!
So you are going to do a 40% to 50% water change every week, where is the green in that? Are you going to cover it to prevent algae blooms? I am not saying this is better then a normal swimming pool, but will turn into a swamp in 2 months of summer. When you go down to the local water hole, it HAS TO HAVE an exchange of water. If you do not have an exchange of water, it will stagnate and will be a breeding ground for some really nasty water born diseases. Yes, the oxygen reduces some of the problems, but you still have a large pool of water in which nothing is going in and nothing is going out. I have no problem with it as long as there is an exchange of water somehow. By either natural springs, which is what 99% of all ponds do, or by inflowing rivers. But to have a stagnant pond in the back yard is just begging for problems. I have a large pond in the back yard, you could swim in it, but even with massive water movement, 3,000 gallons an hour, it turns an algae mess in the middle of summer.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Cool idea I have seen this a lot in Georgia where I grew up. But it's a pond not a swimming pool. In most people eyes a swimming pool is a hygienic place to go swim. A lot of people that had them were I lived when I was growing up used them to keep fish in, either fish they had caught at the lake and want to grow out before they ate them, or fish they buy from the farm and grow out in their "pool" before adding to their stocked fishing ponds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post

I don't think it would be anywhere near as clean as most people planted aquariums, there are uncontrollable factors taken place outside. Such as rain, wild animals, uncontrollable flooding, neighbors using pesticides, and the list goes on. I wouldn't really want to swim in there without knowing more about the location and what is located around it. When I was a kid I would jump into anything that was deep enough to swim in, but now-a-days I know better, as in example, there is a pond near my house that is also near the airport, apparently the water in that pond is highly contaminated and I would've never known if I didn't look it up before going fishing there. Unless you did big water changes, or treated with chemicals I don't think this would be any cleaner or safer than swimming in the neighborhood mud hole or pond.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
swam in a giant natural lake all last summer that gets its water from niagara. A bit trashy with random bottles etc. But it was definitely different from swimming in the olympic sized pool at school. The biggest and sometimes not so cool difference was the bottom. Sometimes slippery with sharp rocks.

Got to swim in some little deep quarry pools as well during my hikes that summer. Those were filled with little fry and tadpole. Quite the experience vs the chlorine pool I usually swim in.

Don't know how many people will want a natural pool like this one. Very select few outdoorsy types

I've seen actual pools used in different setups for fish as well. I guess not as popular in the states. But in Asia there are plenty of people that use outdoor pools for large fish. As well as "shrimping" pools. Where you'd go and fish out shrimp/prawn. Then you can grill them right where you're sitting and make a night out of it. None of them had any natural habitat or nature look to them though.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

My parents have a decent sized pond on their property with a small creek that runs through it. Once the runoff season is over it clears up and the bottom is visible until the water gets about 10' deep. Very easy to see the trout, minnows, bugs etc. that live in it.

Every spring my dad throws a square bale of straw in the pond; it seems to be good at keeping algae from getting too thick.

I have been swimming in the pond a few times (probably 3 times in 16 years) but the weather here isn't really conducive to outdoor swimming and because of the running water the pond never really warms up.

Other than the temperature there are no issues with swimming in it, it's clean, clear, fresh there's no "muddy" odour and much nicer than swimming in a chlorinated pool. Although I do prefer the ocean in Hawaii
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift2001 View Post

Every spring my dad throws a square bale of straw in the pond; it seems to be good at keeping algae from getting too thick.
Probably barely, it works wonders.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode